My Fear

It was pouring rain when the taxi rolled up to the warehouse. I was more then happy to take my chances in the rain then stay another minute in the nicotine rancid smell of the taxi, I was starting to get motion sickness. Hakeem threw his hoody over his head and exited the taxi on his side. I exhaled in frustration and opened my door.

"Wait," the taxi driver looked up with blood shot eyes. "I don't know what you kids are doing out here...but be careful." He nodded with a firm glare as the sound of remorse escaped his yellow stained teeth.

I nodded, finding it strange that a stranger would care about our wellbeing. I was so used to fending for myself with my mother, that I guess I forgot that people could genuinely care. I slipped the hoody over my head and slipped out, slamming the door behind me. The sound of the taxi splashing away through the flooding road faded behind us.

Hakeem walked in front of me and stopped. I watched from behind as the rain created a strange steam around him, the rain flooded our path with the golden glare of the street lights shimmering around us. I could see the steam of his exhale wrap around his slim shoulders, they trembled, I could see it in the rain.

I stepped forward to reach for him, but he immediately began walking towards the giant chain of structures which were consumed by the night sky. I wondered where his mother could be, as the buildings themselves could be riddled with multiple rooms like a maze. It was haunting looking up at the structures, the gaping shattered windows were pitch black, where you couldn't see in, anyone could look out. A chill ran down my spine.

"Mizzy," I whispered amongst my breath.

"I know," she replied with a confident tone. "I'm right here."

I licked my lips and swallowed hard walking as fast as I could to catch up to him. My shoes sloshed through the muddy broken road, filling with water. I had to ignore it. My mother was probably worried sick by now, not even Gary would be able to comfort her. Good.

I caught up to him as his gaze and focus remained on a pitch-black entrance. I wanted to stop, I was afraid to know what waited in the blackness. But I had played the part of being tough this long, could I really hesitate now and turn back?

He stopped just at the entrance and took a deep breath. He began sniffing the air, his nose and lips scrunched up as if he had tasted something bitter. He lowered his face as his fist tightened. The drops of rain raced down his wrist dripping from his knuckles, but even in the darkness I noticed the blood seeping from his fingers as his claws dug into his palms.

"Hakeem,"

He looked up with large golden-brown eyes. They glowed even in the dark, like an animal. His lips became black. "Rai, I'm sorry, but I can't let you go any further." The large intimidating eyes shimmered with fear.

"Hey, I didn't come this far for nothing..." I thought to myself throwing my only escape away and following my heart. I had to help him, I had to be there. "Besides, I got to look out for you, right?" my voice choked.

He could see the fear, I know it. He nodded and turned to the black entrance. "I know you can't see good in the dark, but I can see perfectly clear, you trust me?" his soft voice trembled as he held his hand out. I nodded and took it as we went into the blackness together.

I couldn't see anything in front of myself. In small gaps the street lights shined through giving sections of life through the broken windows. The sound of glass and rock crunched beneath my feet as the damp air smelled of old urine and thick mildew. I pushed on.