Chapter Six: Gossip

Začít od začátku

Russetstar snorted loudly, glancing back at his Clan. "Are you backing down from a fight, Crookedstar?" he asked in disbelief. "Pathetic."

Crookedstar let out an angry yowl and tackled Russetstar, then the other RiverClan cats who came to the Gathering began to attack.

I watched Cinderleaf flood the clearing with Mousefang, Morningtail, Scratchtail, Redstorm, Whitefoot, and Grayclaw racing in after her. The RiverClan cats were highly outnumbered.

A gray tabby she-cat I recognized as Featherstorm rammed into me, causing me to stumble away from Soulpaw.

Once I'd regained my balance, I faced Featherstorm who was ready with her claws. They sliced through my nose and the blood and the pain caused my entire body to freeze up.

Mousefang suddenly darted past me and tackled Featherstorm down to the ground. "You cannot freeze up, Icepaw!" he snapped at me and sunk his teeth into Featherstorm's shoulder. She let out a screeching yowl that pierced my ears.

"Are you okay?" Littlecloud was by my side, looking concerned.

I nodded a little and looked over at Mousefang who was chasing Featherstorm off into the bushes. "Y-Yeah, I think so..."

"Look out!" he hissed and pulled me back as Morningtail and Willowstream rolled past us in a fit of teeth and claws. Morningtail was clearly winning that fight.

I let out a 'woosh' of relief but Littlecloud raced away to help Scratchtail with Timberfur. And I was alone.

"RiverClan, retreat!" Crookedstar yowled and instantly the RiverClan cats fled from Fourtrees and raced towards their territory.

Mothflower emerged from the bushes, rushing to Whitefoot who had a nasty scratch, Jaypaw at her side with a mouthful of herbs.

I flattened my ears on my head, looking around at my wounded Clanmates. I had barely done anything to help.

"Hey!" Suddenly, the familiar black tom appeared by my side. He had a bite mark on his shoulder and a few tufts of fur missing. "Are you okay? I saw you with Featherstorm."

"Yes, I'm fine," I responded, looking at him evenly. "Mousefang helped me. You should really get that bite looked at." I nodded at his shoulder.

Soulpaw shrugged coolly. "No, it's okay. Nice nose," he chuckled and licked my nose. I had almost forgotten about my nose. "There. But you should still have Mothflower take a look."

"WindClan, let's get home!" Russetstar yowled and I turned away from Soulpaw, following the patrol of WindClan cats back to camp, feeling embarrassment deep in my paws.

***

"You can't freeze up like that, Icepaw. If RiverClan was looking to kill, you would've been dead! You're lucky Mousefang showed up when he did," Littlecloud shamed, shaking his head in disappointment. "What was it that made you freeze up?"

I shook my head, letting the gentle and warm wind warm my pelt. The sun was shining down on my pelt. "I'm not sure... I guess the rage and hostility in her gaze just... " I stopped, shaking my head. I had never saw a cat give me that look in my entire life.

"That's what happens in battle, Icepaw. You have to face your fears, that's how you become the best warrior," Littlecloud mewed firmly, his kind voice gone now.

"I'm sorry!" I cried at him, lashing my tail. "I'm usually better than that when we practice!"

Littlecloud darted his paw forward and I stepped away, glaring at him. "You're right, you are. But you only are because you know I won't actually hurt you. But they will." He lunged at me suddenly and I barely side-stepped out of the way. "And you need to be ready and fight back." His front paw lashed out and my backpaw was taken out from under me.