seven | TO CATCH A COBBLEPOT

AFTER THE CHILD SNATCHERS were finally arrested, Jim let Isabella stay with Barbara back at the apartment, while he was working on the 'Ballonman' case.

Barbara held her daughters hand as she walked her down the stairs. They had both just had a wash, and were wearing matching bathrobes.

When they got to the bottom of the stairs, they both jumped at the sight of Renee Montoya.

"My God," Barbara cursed in shock.

"Sorry. I knocked but I could hear someone in here and-"

"How did you get in?' Barbara growled.

"I still have a key, remember?"

"And you just let yourself in? Give it to me," Barbara demanded, and then took the key out of her hand. "I could have you arrested."

"Or I could arrest you," Montoya replied, looking at the cigarette on the table. "Anyway, it's kind of early to be getting high, isn't it?"

Barbara seethed in rage. Montoya seriously thought that she would get high in front of her daughter? "It's a normal cigarette. It's been a stressful day."

Montoya didn't like the tone in her voice, and sighed, "Don't play with me, Barbara. I was there, remember? Through all of it."

Barbara sat Isabella on her lap, as she went onto the couch. Isabella was completely confused.

"Don't you mean you were apart of it?"

"Fine."

Barbara gritted her teeth, "Now that you've come into my home, and accused me of being a drug addict, mind you, in front of my daughter, you can leave."

"Not until we talk about Gordon."

Barbara scoffed, causing Renee to shake her head.

"I don't want to do this here," she stated, glancing at Isabella.

Barbara sighed, "Isabella, could you go to your room, please? When I come in, I can curl your hair. How's that sound?"

Isabella understood, even though she was young, that they were going to have a 'grown-up' conversation, so she agreed, not wanting to upset her mother, and drive her away.

When she had left, Renee continued speaking.

"He's killed a man."

"You told me. It's not true."

"Not Mario Pepper. Another man," she accused. "And he killed him on the orders of Carmine Falcone, biggest crime boss in Gotham."

"You're lying. But you know, I guess I should be used to that."

Renee hesitated before answering, "True. When we were together, I did lie to you. A lot. But you always knew. You looked in my eyes... and you knew when I was lying to you."

She stepped forward, almost closing the gap between their bodies. "Am I lying now?"

"Is this just because I love him? Is that why you are so determined to destroy him? "