~Chapter 5~

I woke up Saturday morning with a text from Troy;

Troy: Open gym today. Please come. We've gotta talk.

McKenna: Maybe.

I don't know why I texted Maybe? As soon as I read his text I knew I was going. I want to see Troy, make everything right. Even though he was only defending me last night, it still hurt. The fact they were fighting about me, it stings.

I got out of bed and through on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Mom had already left for the diner so I didn't have to worry about her knowing where I'm at. But it's not like she would notice anyway.

I walked out of the lobby and began jogging to the gym

I walked out of the lobby and began jogging to the gym. I've learned my way around just from running everywhere. I had my own car back in Chicago, but we couldn't bring it with us because Dad might have been able to track it. It would have been to risky.

I don't mind running everywhere, it's actually kind of nice. It lets me forget everything for a while, and lately, there's a bunch of stuff I need to forget.

The gym isn't that far away, so it doesn't take long for me to get there. The truck Troy and Coach have been repairing is sitting out in the parking lot. I walk into the side door of the gym and find Troy already in there shooting.

"Where's everyone else?", I said, placing my stuff down on the bench. "It's just me and you. I didn't think you'd come if you knew it was just me.", he sat down beside me. "You're not wrong.", I confessed. 

"I'm sorry about everything that happened last night. I don't regret auditioning with you and Dad's just going to have to get over it.", he said, his blue eyes burning into mine. "He's not wrong. You really don't have time to be doing a musical with 'some girl'.", I put an emphasis on the some girl.

"Hey, you're more than just 'some girl'. You're so much more. I know you are.", he put his hand on top of mine. "Troy.", I looked down at our hands. "Kenna, I'm pretty sure you know how I feel about you.", he said.

"I know, and I feel the same way.", I paused for a second, "Which makes it hurt so much more because I know it can't happen." He continued to look into my eyes, but I couldn't meet his. "Who says it couldn't work? There's nothing that can stop us.", he rubbed the top of my hand with his thumb.

"It just can't Troy.", I stood up and walked to the ball rack. Troy was still sitting in the same spot when I turned back to face him.

(Troy: BOLD)
(McKenna:  ITALICIZED)
(Both: BOLD AND ITALICIZED)

"You know I want you."
"It's not a secret I tried to hide."
"I know you want me."
"So don't keep saying our hands are tied."
"You claim it's not in the cards."
"That fate it pulling you miles away, and out of reach from me."
"But you're here in my heart, so who can stop me if I decide that you're my destiny?"

I tried to ignore him and just keep shooting. He kept walking and getting closer and closer to me. I listened to him sing, but never looked at him.

"What if we rewrite the stars?"
"Say you were made to be mine."
"Nothing could keep us apart."
"You'd be the one I was meant to find."
"It's up to you, and it's up to me."
"No one can say what we get to be."
"What if we rewrite the stars?"
"Maybe the world could be ours, tonight."

Troy grabbed my hand and pulled me to face him. He took the back of his hand and rubbed the side of my face. I wanted so bad to let him do it, but I couldn't. I turned back around, escaping his grasp and continued shooting. He grabbed it again, spinning me around this time before pulling me back to him.

"You think it's easy?"
"You think I don't want to run to you?"
"But there are mountains, and there are doors that we can't walk through."
"I know you're wondering why, 'cause we're able to be just you and me within these walls."
"But when we go outside, you're going to wake up and see that it was hopeless after all."

It hurt so bad to sing that. I want it to work, but I know it can't. I circled around Troy while I sang. I let him spin me around and dance a couple times but still pulled away and resisted.

"No one can rewrite the stars."
"How can you say you'll be mine?"
"Everything keeps us apart, and your not the one I was meant to find."
"It's not up to you."
"It's not up to me."
"When everyone tells us what we can be."
"How do we rewrite the stars, say that the world can be ours, tonight."

I pulled away again, backing up and singing. I stayed facing him as I backed away. He started to follow me but I kept backing away. He finally caught me and wrapped his hand around mine.

"All I want is to fly with you."

Still holding on to my hand, he pulled me up the steps to the top of the bleachers. When we got to the top he wrapped his arm around my waist as we walked a circle.

"All I want is to fall with you."

He let go of me and I started to fall down the stairs, before he reached out and caught me, pulling me back up to my feet. 

"So just give me all of you."

I placed my hand on his cheek as we sung together. 

"It feels impossible."
"It's not impossible."
"Is it impossible?"
"Say that its possible."

We pressed our foreheads together as we sung throughout the empty gym. What if it was possible?

"How do we rewrite the stars?"
"Say you were made to be mine."
"Nothing can keep us apart, you were the one I was meant to find."
"It's up to you, and it's up to me."
"No one can say what we get to be."
"How do we rewrite the stars?"
"Changing the world to be ours."

I almost believed it could happen, but still deep down, I know it can't. Troy ran down the stairs in front of me. He got to the bottom first, catching me as I jumped into his arms. He spun me around a couple times before putting me down in front of him, our faces inches apart. His hand rested on top of mine, on top of my hip.

"You know I want you."
"It's not a secret I tried to hide."
"But I can't have you."
"We're bound to break and our hands are tied."

I took his hand off my hip and let it go beside him. Tears were now welling in my eyes at the realization of how much I wanted him, and couldn't have him. I turned around and walked out of the gym, leaving Troy standing in the middle of the floor, all by himself.