~Chapter 9~

Troy and I continued to practice our song together. Kelsi doesn't want anyone to hear the song before we sing it on stage, so our practices have been in secret.

Neither me or Troy have figured out what we are going to do about the game and the show. We can't miss either, it would be letting down a bunch of our friends. Plus we've already committed to both.

"McKenna can you tell me what the square root of 21 is?", my math teacher, Mr. Wilson, snapped me out of my trance.

"Oh, um, 4.6?", I read off my homework from last night, desperately hoping it was right and I didn't just embarrass myself.

"That's correct.", thank goodness.

The bell rang, signaling the end of class. We all got up to leave before Mr. Wilson said, "Guys, pair up into groups of three and do pages 190 through 196 for homework tonight."

I looked around at the other people in my class. Soon Gabriella and Taylor came up to me.

"Hey McKenna, do you want to be in our group?", Taylor asked.

"Please! We've both been wanting to get to know the girl who's going to take Troy Bolton's spot as team captain. Plus it could be fun to get to know each other.", Gabriella chimed in.

"Okay, I'm probably not going to take Troy's spot as captain but  I will be your partner.", I said.

"Great, lets meet in here after school today.", Taylor said.

"Sounds great!", I told them both.

They both walked out of the room together, leaving me by myself. At least I've got partners and I don't have to do the work alone.

~

"Hey McKenna!", Gabriella said when I walked into the math room. I carried my stuff to the table they were sitting at and took a seat beside Taylor. A closed laptop sat in front of her.

"Y'all ready to get started?", I said while pulling my math book out of my backpack.

"Can we talk about something first?", Taylor asked.

"Sure."

"Aren't you and Troy doing the musical together?", Gabriella asked.

"Yeah, we have a duet together."

"Have you heard the song yet?"

"Yes, it's just supposed to be a surprise to everyone.", I said. Where is all of this even going?

"What we're trying to say is, do you even want the part?", Taylor then.

What is she even talking about? I wouldn't have auditioned if I didn't want it. "Of course I want it. Why would you think I wouldn't?", I asked.

"Because Troy doesn't want it.", Taylor said.

"He wouldn't have auditioned with me if he didn't want to do it. Besides, how would you know if he didn't want it?", I questioned, trying not to sound angry.

"It's on video.", Gabriella said as Taylor pressed play on her laptop and turned it to face me.

Troy and all of the team were gathered in the locker room together on the screen. "Why are you even doing the show Troy?", Chad said.

"I don't know, but I'm doing it.", Troy sounded stressed, even through the laptop speaker.

"Do you even want to do it or is just because of McKenna?", Chad questioned.

Troy stayed silent for a while before Chad broke the silence, "Come on Troy, be honest."

"Fine, I won't do it! I didn't want to do it in the first place and was only going to do it with Kenna.", Troy raised his voice when he spoke.

I jumped a little as he said this, but continued watching the video.

"See that wasn't hard. It feels better getting the truth out doesn't it?", Chad patted Troys back.

Troy nodded and a small smile came to his face. "Yeah, it does.", he said.

"Come on guys, What team?!", Chad yelled to everyone. "Wildcats!", everyone yelled back as they ran out of the locker room and out of the camera's view.

Taylor closed the computer and looked up at me. "See McKenna, he doesn't want to do it.", she said.

I looked up from my lap and looked at them both, saying, "If he doesn't want to do it then I won't make him. Neither of us are doing the show."

I stood up and grabbed all of my things, and walked out of the room. I stopped in the hall, looking out the window into the front of the school.

"Troy, Troy, Troy, Troy, Troy!", people chanted as the whole team ran out of the building.

"It's funny when you find yourself, looking from the outside"
"I'm standing here but all I want, is to be over there"
"Why did I let myself believe that miracles could happen?"
"'Cause now I have to pretend like I don't really care"

I turned around away from the window. Pushing myself away, I walked away from the window and down the hall.

"I thought you were my fairy tale"
"A dream, when I'm not sleeping"
"A wish upon a star that's coming true"
"But everybody else could tell"
"That I confused my feelings with the truth"
"When there was me and you"

"I swore I knew the melody that I heard you singing"
"And when you smiled, you made me feel like I could sing along"
"But then you went and changed the words"
"Now my heart is empty"
"I'm only left with used-to-be's and once upon a song"

I dragged my hand across the railing, singing as I did so. Moving my arms across it, I danced along to the words I sung.

"Now I know your not a fairy tale"
"And dreams were meant for sleeping"
"And wishes on a star, just don't come true"
"'Cause now, even I can tell"
"That I confused my feelings with the truth"
"Because I liked the view"
"When there was me and you"

I moved on from the railing and walked down the stairs. After the first flight, I stopped and danced as I sung, not even caring who was watching. I made my way down the second set of stairs and started walking down the hallway.

"I can't believe, that I could be so blind"
"It's like you were floating, while I was falling"
"And I didn't mind"

I walked up to the big banner hanging on the wall with all of the teams pictures on it. I leaned up against the wall beside Troy's picture and sang. Looking back at him, I shook my head and continued down the hall.

"Because I liked the view"
"I thought you felt it too"
"When there was me and you"

I leaned up against the wall again and slid down it, sitting down on the floor. Peoples voices and footsteps started down the hall in my direction.

"Kenna, what's wrong?", Troy's in-mistakable voice came from above me. I stood up and walked away, heading for my car outside.

"Kenna wait!", he came after me. He followed me all the way outside. As I tried to open the car door, his hand pushed it back shut and held it there.

"Ken, tell me what's up."

"You could have told me you didn't want to do it. I wouldn't have made you, but instead you lied to me.", I said.

"Kenna, I didn't mean...", he started before I cut him off.

"Troy, please just leave me alone."

He looked at me for a second before moving out of my way. I jumped in the drivers side of my car and drove off, leaving him in the same spot as before.

Sorry to make Gabriella, Taylor, and Chad sound so mean, but for the sake of the chapter they need to be this one time. I love all three of these characters though and they will be back to there normal selves really soon!