~Chapter 2~

30 minutes later, I'm back at the hotel room, or what Mom likes to call it 'home'. I don't understand how she can consider this place 'home'. If you ask me, it's just a place that we are staying at for a while. Just until we have the money.

Our money situation has got me thinking. What if I got a job, to help out. Just a part time job that won't conflict with school and basketball. The more money we have, the faster we get out of this place. I'll look tomorrow after practice.

If only Dad hadn't done what he did. If he hadn't, I would still be in Chicago, with my friends, shooting around at the park. I miss all of it. If only he hadn't went completely overboard, it could all be different.

(Some lyrics changed)
(Chorus Only)

"I'm a mess, I'm a loser."
"I'm a hater, I'm a user."
"I was a mess for your love, now that's through."
"I was obsessed, now embarrassed."
"I don't trust no one because you."
"I was a mess for your love, now that's through."

I don't even now why I'm singing, but it describes everything I'm feeling about dad. I miss him but I also can't stand him. He ruined everything yet he could always make things better. I guess I'm just singing my feeling, getting it all out.

"You have a really good voice.", my head whipped around to Mom in the doorway. She stood, leaned up against the door frame, listening to everything.

"Um... you didn't see any of that.", I can feel my face getting red. Even though it's just Mom, singing in front of people isn't exactly a strong suit. "Okay. I heard you sing, didn't see a thing.", I rolled my eyes at her response.

"You should audience for that musical thing at school.", she shut the door and walked to the bathroom. "How do you know about that?", I followed in behind her. "Mothers instinct."

"No really, how do you know?", I pressured. "Saw a flyer in the diner window." "I have to do something to help out. Probably just work backstage.", I walked out and got my homework out of work on.

"Just think about auditioning, okay?", she walked in and looked at me. "I'll think about it.", lie. I don't have time to be in some musical, with basketball and hopefully a job soon, there's just no time.

Okay, focus on math, not everything else in your life. I got started on my math homework, focusing on the equations in front of me.

~

"I'm going out for a run.", I told Mom before walking out of our room. Running helps me keep my mind clear. I got in the elevator and pressed the floor level.

The doors opened when I got to the hotels lobby and I walked out and through the double doors leading outside.

I took off jogging down the road, not real sure where I'm going. I make it to some neighborhood with houses on both sides of the street. How I would give anything to live in one of these houses.

I looked over to one house and saw Troy shooting a ball around. "Hey.", I walked on the court he was shooting on. One of these would be nice to have. "Whats up?", he passed me the ball to shoot. It went in without hitting the rim or backboard.

"Just on a run. This your house?", I pointed to the house beside us. "Yeah.", he shot a layup as he said. I may start running this way more often. Wait, what am I saying? I just met the guy today.

"So, you liking East High?", he stuck the ball under his arm and walked up to me. "It's different, but okay. Just gonna take some getting used to.", I shrugged my shoulders. "Where'd you move from?", his blue eyes sparkled when the sun hit them. Kenna, quit starring!

"Chicago.", and I miss it so much, I wanted to say. His eyes went wide and he said, "Wow, that's like all the way across the country." "Only 1,337.3 miles, but whose counting?", that long in a car, not the greatest thing ever, but it got us away from Dad. I guess you can say it was worth it.

"You're pretty smart.", he said, smirking. "You're the first person to ever tell me that.", I raised my eyebrows in amazement. Although my grades are always good, I've never been the smart person in class.

I backed up to the 3 point line drawn on the concrete court and held my hands out for the ball. He passed it and it went in again. "You know I'm the captain right?", he said. I'm confused. Is he trying to say something or just being cocky? Either way, its cute.

"Meaning?", I asked, retrieving the ball. "Meaning, I have a say in who gets to be our co captain.", I really hope he's saying what I think he is. "Me?", I asked. "Yeah, you're awesome. You're the best shooter on the team and can handle the ball without fumbling at all. That's only what I saw today. I can't wait to see what you can do later on.", he said. 

"You should probably think about it. It was only my first day and I'm sure there are people just as good as me on the team.", I passed the ball to Troy for a shot, which he made. "It's all I've thought about since practice. I need to go over it with Dad, but he'll probably be on board. I'm telling you, you're an amazing player.", I can't believe this. It's only my first day and he's already wanting me as co caption.

"At least wait until Friday. You may change your mind between now and then.", I said, but I really hope he doesn't change his mind. "Fine, but I know I won't.", I rolled my eyes at him. "I should get going.", I said, passing his ball back.

"Oh, okay. See you tomorrow.", he kinda stuttered at the beginning. What does that mean? "See you Troy.", I turned around and started jogging back to the hotel, even though I didn't want to leave, but it was getting late.

Now I can't wait until Friday. Being Troy's co captain sounds awesome.