𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

Start from the beginning

"What was that?" Rose asked.

"Probably just the storm." Stiles tried to shrug it off but another loud thud could be heard, it sounded closer this time.

"Stiles..." her voice sounded shaky as she inched closer to him, he wanted so badly to wrap his arms around her and pretend everything would be okay.

Instead he stood up, "stay here." He instructed as he walked towards the stairs, standing at the top was the demon he'd seen two nights before. Still as ominous as ever, like a swirling black vortex of doom. It's long, thin legs began to walk down the stairs. Stiles gulped, his mind suddenly blank of every spell he'd every learned.

Rose appeared behind him, "do something, Stiles!"

Stiles looked behind him, suddenly his hands sparked with flames, making the demon halt in its steps.

"Don't come any closer." He said, but his voice was shaky with nerves.

Suddenly a deep voice invaded his head, "Give me the girl and I'll leave in peace."

Stiles glanced back at Rose one more time, her eyes were stricken with fear. He shook his head, "no."

His hands burned, but he didn't care, he directed all of his energy at the being in front of him. Before the fire reached the demon it disappeared, leaving a swirl of black smoke behind.

"What was that?" Rose asked, her voice small and scared.

"Don't worry... it's gone now." Stiles said, not wanting to say anything more. For he was just as scared, not of the demon, but of losing Rose.

Stiles grabbed his coat and passed one to Rose, along with scarves and gloves, "here, put these on."

"Where are we going?" Rose asked as she got wrapped up in all of the clothes Stiles had given to her.

"Somewhere that's not here. It's clearly not safe here." He said, grabbing his backpack and throwing it over his shoulder. 

As soon as he opened the door the wind blew him back, rain hitting his face, "it'll be okay," He yelled back to Rose, "just keep your head down." He said as he looked back to her, his hand instinctively reached for her hand and gripped it tightly, keeping hold of it as they walked outside together. 

He headed against the wind and the rain, walking ten blocks away was always a challenge but with the weather against them it was worse than ever. They finally made it to their destination, Stiles knocked heavily against the door of the large house looming in front of them. The door opened only slightly, keeping the weather out, Lydia peered around the door immediately spotting Stiles and Rose. 

"What are you doing out there in this weather?" Lydia asked as she ushered them inside.

Stiles gave her a look that told her everything she needed to know, Lydia nodded before helping Rose remove her multiple layers. She hurriedly grabbed two blankets and wrapped one around Rose before handing one to Stiles.

Lydia guided her into the living room and gestured for her to sit down, "wait here, okay? Try and stay warm." She said softly before grabbing Stiles' wrist and dragging him into the kitchen.

She closed the door  to muffle their voices, "So?"

Stiles sighed, "the demon showed up again, this time... it spoke to me. I don't think Rose heard it, it was in my head."

"What did it say?" Lydia asked, her eyebrows furrowing in worry.

"If I gave it Rose, it would leave in peace." Stiles replied, running a hand through his soaking wet hair, pushing it off of his forehead.

"Well we're not letting it have Rose... what did you do?" Lydia asked.

"I froze at first... then Rose was standing behind me and I knew I had to do something so I blasted it with fire." Stiles said as if it was something he did daily.

"Then what happened?"

He nodded, "Then it disappeared. I wasn't going to stay at home incase it appears again."

"I'm glad you came here, Stiles." Lydia said, placing her hand lightly on his arm. 

"Me too... did you and the girls find anything?" He asked hopefully.

Lydia bit her lip, making Stiles take a deep breath, "there wasn't anything... we scoured every book and website there is."

Stiles shook his head, "there has to be something."

"If there was we would've found it, Stiles. Trust me. Okay? I know the alternative, but it's all we have." Lydia said.

The alternative was turning Rose back into his jeep himself, and not letting the demon take her, who knows what it would do to her. Stiles didn't want to believe it.

"You should do it soon, you can't always be by her side protecting her..." Lydia said sadly.

"I know." Stiles said.

Lydia saw the light in his eyes fade, "If... when you do it, I promise we'll find a way to bring her back, even if it defies the universe." She chuckled softly at how so much had changed, they were used to fighting werewolves and hunters, not the universe.

"Us against the universe, huh?" Stiles' lips flickered into a slight smirk before it disappeared.

"I should get back to Rose, but this stays between us, okay?" Stiles said as he looked Lydia directly in the eye, he was adamant Rose didn't find out.

"Absolutely." Lydia nodded.

She watched as he left the kitchen, he was obviously so in love with the girl that he wouldn't let anyone or anything ruin this for him. Lydia remembered when he would do that for her, but she'd never reciprocated his feelings, she was glad maybe this time someone did. She'd seen the way Rose looked at him with her big, green eyes that it was inevitable she liked him back.

Lydia  found her mother's stash of cookies and joined Stiles and Rose in the living room.

"Here, these should cheer you guys up." She said, before sitting down opposite them. 

Rose glanced between her friends, she'd heard their voices rising and falling in the kitchen as they spoke, she couldn't make out exactly what they were saying but she heard her name more than once. 

No-one spoke for a long time as they sat and listened to the storm outside, the mood was solemn as Stiles knew what he had to do. He didn't want the demon to appear again, he wasn't sure his magic was strong enough to kill something the universe had created. 

When the storm subsided, Lydia offered them her car to drive home in which Stiles was grateful for. 

The drive home was short but they ended up sitting outside in the car, the silence between them verging on uncomfortable as they both knew there were unspoken words that needed to be said and Stiles had to find a way to break the news to her that he'd have to turn her back into his jeep. 

°

damn ... 🥀