Chapter 4

Emily POV

I walk into the Brew and look around it.

I've never been in here before. Sure, I've walked past it but the Wrights never want me in any public setting because they don't want me "disgracing the family name". Even though I am sure they have done that enough already.

It smells of coffee and bakery goods in here. I must admit, it looks really nice. The feel in this coffee shop is very comfortable and welcoming, like they have been asking me to come inside. I notice the blonde Queen Bee sitting down at a couch in the back, glancing through her notes before scribbling down some words.

I walk up to her and clear my throat, making her jump and stare up at me. She breathes out, "You scared me."

"Oops?"

Rolling her eyes she mumbles out, "Guess you're used to sneaking up on people."

"Excuse me?" I sit down next to her but not too close. Who knows, I may catch her divaness. Or maybe if I get too close I will start wearing pink and walking around everyday in heels and a full face of makeup.

We take out the novel we chose, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and pick up where we left off. I notice that a page around halfway through the book is folded. 

Did Alison get that far?

I don't speak on it because she looks too focused on the work at hand. 

"This Pip dude seems like a loser," Alison mumbles before continuing to write stuff down. I look at her and shrug, "I don't know. Estella seems like a total bitch."

Scoffing, the Queen looks up at me with a raised eyebrow, "Estella knows what she wants."

"Oh does she? Cause all she does is torment men and break their hearts. She just toys with them and treats them like crap. She is manipulative and has a heart of ice."

"And Pip is better? All he is is just a low-life orphan who wears rags as clothing. He is a poor, parentless nobody." My eyes bore into the Ice Queen's head. I want to reach across the table and choke her out.

How dare she?

"What's wrong with not having parents?" She looks a little taken-back but chuckles.

"Why do you care Fields?"

"Because I don't have parents."

Silence.

Alison stares at me, her mouth agape, her eyes seemingly guilty maybe? She goes to speak but no words come out. She just sits in shock.

"Emily I...I'm sorry I didn't know-" "Doesn't matter. I never even met them so."

She shakes her head, sitting up tall, looking at me with such sincerity in her eyes, regret for bringing up the topic.

"What...What happened to them?"

Shrugging, I look around the Brew and sigh out loud "I don't know. My social workers never told me. All I know is that the last family member I was with was my mom before I was taken away from her. She was alive."

Alison nods in understanding and we sit in silence for a few moments, just staring at each other before a voice breaks the moment.

"Hey babe."

Noel Kahn leans down and kisses Alison, his body almost shoving me out of his way. I slide over in the booth and Noel says, "You excited for the party tonight?"

"Beyond." 

They start rambling on who is gonna get drunk first and who will pee in the backyard this time or pee themselves and I lose interest.

My attention gets caught by a little girl with two parents, talking and laughing. The mom leans over to the little girl and wipes her mouth with a napkin, kissing the girl's forehead lightly.

My heart aches in my chest watching this scene unfold, wishing that I had a mother to do that with me when I was little.

"Emily?" Alison's voice snaps me out of my daze and when I look over, Kahn and Alison are watching me. I gulp down the lump in my throat and nod, "Yeah?"

She follows my previous gaze and her features soften, looking at me with this gentle expression before speaking, "You'll be there tonight?"

"Oh uh yeah, never miss a party."

Kahn grins ear-to-ear and high fives me, "That's the Fields I know and love. See you later man."

Alison POV

Of course you say some stupid snarky comment.

Alison you are such  a bitch sometimes.

The one thing I say and of course she doesn't have parents. I should've known. Everybody knows that the Wrights are Emily's foster family. 

"Ali you okay? You seem distant?"

I fix up my tube top and spin on my heels, glaring Hanna in the eyes, "I'm fine Hefty. Why don't you go back to browsing the 30 different ways to make a batch of cookies to shove into your big mouth-"

"Ali." Spencer snaps at me, making me feel guilty but I don't show it enough to make them see what I really feel. I love my friends, I do. But showing them too much emotion will tell them that I am weak, not strong enough to be their leader.

"I'm sorry Hanna. I didn't mean that. I just...I'm fine. Just thinking is all. I know it's rare for me," I flash a light grin at Hanna and rub her arm reassuringly.

She nods and hugs herself. I notice her pinching her side and I instantly feel worried, like I want to hug her and protect her, apologize for the harsh things I say to her.

I turn back to the mirror and stare at my reflection, thinking about how different my life would be if I was in a foster family like Emily.

Emily POV

I cover up the bruise on my cheek with makeup while getting ready for the party tonight.

Mark had a bad practice and wanted to take it out on something...so he came to me. Not exactly what people mean when they say siblings are always there for one another, their door always open to come to when one has a bad day.

Thankfully Mary and Freddy are in the city until tomorrow night so I can go out and have a little fun. 

I turn back to the mirror and stare at my reflection, thinking about how different my life would be if I was with my real family like Alison.

++++++++++++++++++++

What are we thinking so far?

Is bitch Alison ever going to show her true colors?

What will happen at the party?

Review and Comment!

~Stay Fearless~

Caleigh <13