~1: L01~

"Ah. Ain't this the damn life, 'Jun?"

The 18-year-old exhaled another puff of smoke, drawling over his words as he spoke to his best friend of 15 years.

His best friend chuckled.

"A damn life you won't have, Ji, if you continue to insist on doing that to your goddamn lungs."

"Aite, aite. Shut up, or I'll use the Look on you."

Both boys grinned, knowing the threat was completely empty.

"Whatever you say, Jisung."

"At this point, you attack me more than this smoke to my lungs."

"Is it really that bad?"

The two burst into laughter, the younger, Park Ji Sung, having a much more raspy, scratchy laugh as a consequence of his smoking. 

The other, Huang In Joon, had a much more high pitched voice, so much so that if you'd never seen his face, or didn't know his name, there was simply no way you'd take him to be a Looker. Even if he told you, you'd probably believe him to be lying.

Their laughter echoed around the building, their current home- an old office block, put out of use after fire safety tests failed. After that, the council ignored its existence. It was mainly used as a recreational area for teens looking to have fun- hence the bright pink paint splattered across the walls, and the lingering smell of sweat, and sex.

Nobody important ever really visited, and both boys had taken guesses that they'd probably last there for a month at most before it became unsafe to remain.

In honesty, they wouldn't really care, as by moving time, most people in the area were probably searching for them, as they'd probably robbed a few places for food by that point. 

However, it was one of their nicest places in a while- with chairs, carpets and a coffee machine that nobody had been bothered to take away- so on that front, it'd be more sad for them to leave than any place they'd stayed in recently. They'd got pretty comfortable.

On the topic of why they had to run- In Joon, known to Ji Sung as Renjun, had been living with his best friend's family ever since he had moved to Korea. He had always wanted to, and he had a feeling his parents wouldn't really mind, so he had bought the ticket and moved when he was 14. As predicted, his parents hadn't scolded him. They were proud of him for being confident enough to make his own decisions.

However, as soon as Jisung's family discovered that both were Lookers, they had suddenly found themselves without a home. They had quickly realised the hate that the world bore for them, and so decided to go into hiding. 

Their current home was based in Seoul. They tended to stay around that sort of area, with about 12 different locations overall, with this new addition- one for each month of the year. They always made sure not to have a pattern in which they would be staying in and when, so that nobody could have a certain time to look for them. 

They'd been sighted a few times, but nobody knew their names based on that. In fact, all people really knew about them was their names, ages and origins. Which meant that nobody could ever hate them for any more than their thievery in the towns they stayed in. People had a name to hate, but not a face.

It was different for people with other abilities. 

Finder? A person knew who you were, they'd love you. Stay by your side all the time, to be protected from Lookers.

Healer? Even better. In constant demand, and everyone could know who you were, without you having anything to fear. 

Even being an Identifier was better than being a Looker, on the basis that if everyone knew who you were, not everyone would instantly hate you for it.

Which was why Renjun and Jisung felt particularly hard done by, because the worst they'd really ever done to someone was their food robbery.

Also why they didn't trust anyone, aside from each other, of course. Because anyone could know a Finder, or even be a Finder themselves. They shut themselves away because of it, because if they did get caught, they'd be sent away, and wouldn't get back. Meaning that they'd never find their Soulmate(s), which was honestly all anyone wanted. 

Anyone with abilities could never have the same ability as their Soulmate(s).

Which meant that Renjun and Jisung were left to wonder- how much would their Soulmate(s) hate them? 

If it was a Finder- they could react in any way. Either hate them, and send them away, or they could accept them, and cease working to find others like them.

A Healer- likely hand them over to a Finder, in embarrassment, but regretting their decision.

Identifier- They had a chance. Identifiers partially knew the scorn and struggles of a Looker, so there was a possibility they'd be able to overlook the ability and aim to lead a simple life with their Soulmate(s).

The General Public- it made the two boys shiver thinking about the possibility. The chances at being handed over without regret from the one who did it were so high that both boys almost resented the entire idea of Soulmates simply because of it.

It was also possible to have 2 Soulmates, since apparently the world was a lot fairer than it used to be. Homophobia was almost non-existent, and because you could have 2 Soulmates, most people were also okay with polyamorous relationships.

The worst combination both of the boys could think of was both a Healer and a Finder. The Healer would hand you over, regretfully, to the Finder, who'd send you away, because of the wishes of the Healer, and their sense of morals. You'd then watch from below as the two lived happily together until their deaths, while you sat, dejected, rejected and unloved by either of your Soulmates.

The world was too unfair for two Lookers so young, but they had learned to live with it, over the four years they had been on the run.