Chapter 4

Astrid stares at Arrow. And gulped. "You..you don't know what death is?" Arrow looked at Astrid again, confused. "Dead? Death? You're making me confused."

     "Death is another name for dead, but, uh, it's not important. Why don't we talk with Hiccup?" Astrid says, brushing off the sensitive question nervously. Arrow pays no attention and gently pushes the baby Gronckle off her lap. "Okay! Where is he?" Astrid stands up. "We're gonna go to the Dragon Riding School."

     Arrow went up the dirt path and finally arrived at a humongous set of open doors. Astrid went in. Arrow followed her in like a lost puppy. Astrid pecked Hiccup on his lips, and the people Hiccup were teaching made awwing sounds. Astrid whispered something to Hiccup.

     "Alright, we're going to take a break!" All the people break off and play in the arena with their dragons. Arrow walks towards one of them. As she approaches the owner's dragon, the metallic-looking dragon shrinks back and whimpers. Arrow sees this and backs away. She tries approaching the other dragons, but they all have the same reaction to her, shrinking away from her and whimpering. When Arrow was done trying to approach the scared dragons, she couldn't help but think that there was something wrong with her. Then, Hiccup approached the red-headed girl with Astrid by his side.

     "So. You don't know what death is?"

     "Hmm? No. Can you tell me?" Hiccup nervously scratched the back of his neck. "Well death is...not good. It's when a human stops doing...anything."

     "Are they broken?" Arrow looked at Hiccup expectantly. Her short figure and big, blue eyes not helping her appearance of looking like a adult.

     "Oh geez. You sound so young and innocent. Um, no they can't be fixed. They can never come back."

     "But the woman said she was sleeping." Hiccup gulped. "What do you think happens to animals that you eat?"

     "They go to sleep!"

     "Arrow...they die."

     "Die? Is that another word for death?"

     "...yes. Arrow that woman...died. She isn't sleeping." Arrow looked immensely confused. "But she said so."

     "Arrow....she lied to you. I'm sorry, but she died. She isn't here with us anymore."

     "...oh." Arrow looked down, sadness filling her eyes. She fidgeted with her hands, and felt tears welling up in her eyes.

     "It's not your fault, Arrow. Just some things happen in life that make this happen." Astrid said, putting her hand on her shoulder, providing comfort for the small, red-headed girl. Arrow slowly nodded and looked up.

     "What are you doing with the dragons?" Arrow asks. Hiccup brightened up immediately. "Well, I teach these people how to ride on their dragons." Arrow gasped. "You ride on dragons?!"

     "Well, yeah. Have you never ridden a dragon once?"

     "No! I would never ride on family! That's bad!" Arrow says. Hiccup chuckles at Arrows choice of words and nonchalantly asks, "how old are you? You talk like a 7-year old...." Astrid whacked Hiccup on the head.

     "You dimwit. She was brought away when she was young."

     "What?" Arrow looks at Hiccup and Astrid confused.

     "It's nothing. Since you won't ride on your family, why don't we go through the island and find a dragon for you." Hiccup said. Arrow bounced up and down excitedly and nodded her head up and down rapidly.