Chapter 45: Day 4

Start from the beginning

I nodded, “I was and it felt good. How are you doing Miranda?”

“I’d feel better if you didn’t have bodyguards watching me all the time.”

I sighed, “We just need to make sure you don’t perform that spell.”

“You already took the book from me.”

“How do we know you haven’t already memorized the spell?” Topanga asked her. “I’m not going to take chances. Yes, she was my friend but power overcame her. I will not have her coming back. Death is not something to mess around with.”

“So you have the book?” I asked Topanga.

She nodded, “I wouldn’t trust it with anyone else.”

“Good,” I nodded back. “Miranda, we appreciate that you have helped us so much and we appreciate that you are on our side, but Topanga is right. Be better than your ancestor was and don’t get obsessed with power like she was .Use her spells in selfless ways not selfish ways.”

Miranda nodded, “Fine I’ll stay here with these bodyguards but can I have the spell book when the war is over?”

“That spell has already been ripped out and burned,” Topanga answered, “and according to the fine lines it can only be performed for another 48 hours. After that it’ll be a useless spell. I’m also looking over all the other spells to make sure she didn’t have any other dangerous spells.”

“You really don’t trust me.”

“You look exactly like my old friend and if you’re anything like her then no, I don’t trust you.”

“I’m not her.”

“Prove it.”

“Okay guys,” I interrupted, “let’s stop arguing about it.”

“She’s quite right,” Dad said, “Miranda we’ll take good care of you while they are gone. It’ll hardly feel like we’re babysitting you. We’ll show you around the city and explain how things work around here.”

“Okay,” Miranda agreed.

I finished my breakfast and stood up, “Miranda can I talk to you alone?”

“Sure,” she stood up, “I’m finished anyway.”

I took her to my room in the palace and closed the door behind me.

“Why do you need to talk to me? Haven’t I explained everything already?”

“We don’t want you to hate us,” I said, “and I know you’re really mad about this spell book controversy and you feel like we don’t trust you.”

“But you don’t.”

“I want to,” I said, “I really do. Tensions are really high right now with the war happening. In a place like this you have to earn everyone’s trust. We don’t give it away as soon as you arrive. You have to understand that the Tigmas were forced into hiding because the humans and other races wanted us dead. They thought we were a threat, they thought we wanted to kill them, and they tried to kill us first. All we want is our freedom. We’re not a dangerous race; we’re only using violence because we have to.”

She sighed, “Which means you’re only watching me now because you have to.”

“It could cost us our freedom,” I explained. “One little thing goes wrong and our freedom is gone. We go back into hiding.”

“I do think you deserve your freedom,” She told me, “and I don’t want to ruin that.”

“So why the spell?”