Chapter 18: Weird Advantage

That’s what?

Ro, think about it. We can do whatever we want and get away with it. If we really are the Samoulte, we can travel into the future or past and see what the enemy knows. We’re the secret to winning the war.

“Oh my God,” I thought out loud. Oops. That wasn’t supposed to be out loud. I heard Pilote chuckle and he hugged me.

“You have an interesting way of getting their attention.”

“Very funny,” I giggled.

“What’s so funny?” dad asked.

“Pilote just thought of a way for us to win the war,” I explained.

“How?” John asked.

“It’s like Bella said,” Pilote explained, “Rolla and I can go back in time or into the future without ruining the balance of things and we can read everyone’s minds. The enemies don’t know that. I’ve read books about them; they don’t have those types of powers. All we have to do is use that against them.”

“But do you even know how to do it?” Teegan asked.

“I can teach you!” Mom said. “Like I said, I’ve been studying this legend my entire life. I know everything there is to know about the Samoulte. I can teach you two how to do that and…”

“And the first thing you two should do when you learn it,” Robert interrupted, “Is to go into the future and see what the Silthra’s plans are. If we know their plans then we know how to stop it.”

“I agree,” Dad said, “And get into their minds. We need to know everything that they are thinking and planning.”

“Hang on,” I said, “We’re moving a little too fast here. We just found out an hour ago about this. I need time to let all this settle in. I’m getting a headache.”

“I’m with Rolla,” Pilote said, “We need time to think about this. It’s going too fast. Let’s just eat dinner like we all planned and relax for the evening. Rolla and I will go get dinner ourselves.”

“Wait,” mom said. She came up to me and handed me a book from her bag. It had two words written on it: Soul mate and Samoulte..

“Thank you,” I smiled.

            Pilote put his arm around me and we left the house entire and ran our fastest downtown. We never wanted to be caught even a mile from our house or how the rest of the world viewed it, the remains of the house. Pilote never let his arm leave my waist. I’m exhausted. We decided on my favorite Chinese restaurant and got the buffet. I kept the book in my bag and we didn’t start talking until we were both sitting down with our plates.

“How ya feelin?” Pilote asked me.

I just shrugged, moving my fork across the plate. I don’t know what to feel.

“Baby talk to me.”

I looked up at him, “You’ve never called me baby before.”

He chuckled, “I did now.”

“I feel like all this pressure’s on me,” I started admitting. The words came out better once I started, “With my old life, I didn’t have any worries or at least I never thought I did. Now I’m a leader, preparing to fight in the biggest war the world has ever seen, and now we have to learn to go back in time and learn the Silthra’s secrets and –“

“Ro, I know. It’s a lot of pressure. Especially for one person, but you can’t let it get to you like it is. You have to relax and not be so stressed out about it. You’re never going to be able to truly help if your mind isn’t in the right place.”

“How are you not more stressed out about this?”

He shrugged, “I don’t know. I’m just good at not letting things bother me.”

“You’ll have to teach me that,” I started to smile.

“I can do that.”

“This is nice,” I said, “Being able to have a dinner alone together.”

“Yes it is,” he agreed, “We’ll have to make it a regular thing.”

“Deal,” I smiled.

            We finished eating and Pilote paid the bill. I put my bag back over my shoulder and we left the restaurant. We walked out and he wrapped his arm around me. We didn’t rush home, and walked it instead. As we walked by the police station, one of the officers was walking out. He recognized me.

“Rolla?”

I instantly froze in my place. I really wish he wouldn’t have seen me. “Yes?”

“I can’t believe it’s you,” he said. “You remember me don’t you?”

“Yeah,” I replied, “I remember you.”

“I see your parents never found you.”

“Oh they found me, but they’re gone now.”

His eyes got big, “They came back? We’ve been searching for them.”

“Yeah.”

“Who is this?” Pilote interrupted. I didn’t need to read his mind to know what he was thinking.

“I’m sorry,” the officer said, “Rolla and I met a few days after her house blew up. We arrested her and brought her in for questioning.”

“Oh,” he said, “So you’re one of the officers.”

“She told you about that?”

“She didn’t have to.”

“Things must have turned out well,” the officer said, “I mean it’s almost a year later and you’re still alive and well. Glad to see you’re okay.”

“You have no idea,” I said, “It’s just the beginning. You knew nothing about who my parents really were, and if you did… you wouldn’t have dropped the case so quickly..”

“Rolla,” Pilote said, “Let’s just go.”

“Yeah, sorry.”

            Pilote and I continued walking past the police station and ran at full speed when we were out of sight. We ran down the stairs and stopped at the door way. Pilote put his finger up to the security pad and the door opened. We walked in and I pushed down on the shelf and slowly walked into our meeting room. The torches were all out which means they were all in the living rooms or their rooms. Pilote led us down to our rooms and we went to my room first. The meeting delayed our decorating plans so I just pushed the bags off the bed before laying on it myself. Snow was happy to see I’m back and joined me on the bed. Pilote laid next to me on the opposite side of Snow. He put his arm around my waist and brought me closer to him.

“Will you stay here tonight?” I asked him.

“If you want me to.”

“I want you to.”

“Then let me go get ready for bed. It’ll give you time to change too.”

“Kay.”

            He left the room and I slowly pushed Snow away from me so I could get up. She stood up and laid herself at the end of the bed. I changed into a pair of shorts and tank top before going to the bathroom and brushing my teeth. When I finally got back into my room, Pilote was already laying down under the blankets with Snow at his feet. I closed the door softly and laid down in bed next to him. He raised his arm and put it around me, signaling me to get closer. I smiled as I rested my head on his chest and his arms were softly on my back.

“Goodnight Rolla.”

“Night Pilote.”

“You’ll get through this you know?”

“No,” I said, “We’ll get through this.”

“Yeah,” I could tell he was smiling, “We’ll get through this. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

THE END CHAPTER 18!!

feedback? anybody reading?