❶ Nothing to Regret

b a b y w e d o n' t n e e d n o
m o n e y, n o w o r r i e s
t o n i g h t

"Nothing to Regret" - Robinson

❥❥❥

"We shouldn't do this." He muttered, pulling his face away from mine. "We should be in there with the rest."

I sighed heavily, trying hard to avoid eye contact with him. All the fighting, all the tension between us had led up to this moment.

"I know it's selfish but right now the only person I want to think about right now is you. Does that make me a terrible person?"

"No- of course not." Hesitantly, he leaned back down and as we continued where we left off.

You're probably wondering who I am and how I got stuck making out with my best friend in the middle of a football field, at 2am. For starters, I'm Jace... and the whole best friend thing-

That's a long story.

But that's alright.

Because sometimes, it's good to hear someone else's story so maybe you can forget about your own.

Only for a short period of time though. I can't permanently get rid of your problems. Sorry.

But for now- just hear me out. 'Cause you and I are in for a hell of a long ride.

***

August 31st

"Jace. Get down here right now. Your father and I would like to have a word with you." My mother's booming voice yelled at me from the bottom of our grand staircase.

Five minutes. I hadn't been home for five damn minutes and I was already in trouble. You see, I had gotten home from a two week retreat with my good friends Lloyd, Luci, Wisty, Miki, Dustin and Gage. The campsite we stayed at offered horseback riding, mountain climbing, campfires and basically anything else you'd find at a basic summer camp. Although my relatives weren't so keen on the idea. They thought I should've spent my time studying so I wouldn't regret it later. All I can say is I've got nothing to regret. In some ways it was the perfect way to spend our last couple of weeks of summer. But now, I'm home once again, being yelled at by my parents.

"What? What could you possible need to tell me right now?" I groaned, slumping down the stairs.

When I entered the dining room, my father gestured for me to take a seat, as if we was about to tell me some life-changing news. And for all I know, he was.

"Well... I wanted to let you know that we will be having guests in staying with us for a while."

My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. Was he serious? I was never a big fan on sharing my personal space with other people. Honestly, if I were still staying in the school dormitories I'd be alright with it, but unfortunately I forgot to apply for one this summer and by the time I finally got around to it they were all occupied. I currently wanted to scream and punch a wall. I wanted to give my parents a piece of my mind. But all that came out was:

"Erm... okay. For how long?"

My parents glanced at each other, as if they figured I'd react this way.

"Well..." My mom placed her hand on my shoulder, "We don't really know. It could be a month or two or maybe even a year."

I somehow choked on air.

"Who, why and when?" I managed to sputter.

"One, it's a couple we've known since high school and their son. You've actually met him when you were little. You might remember him, Ty Beckett?" My dad explained.

'Ty, Ty, Ty... sounds familiar but I just can't put my finger on it'

I shrugged and let him carry on.

"Two, their house was unsafe to live in and had to be demolished due to natural gas. And three, they'll be here," He paused and peered down at his wrist-watch, "In ten minutes."

"You've got to be kidding me!" I slammed my head down into the table causing my puppy, Butterball, to rise from his slumber and start barking.

"Puppy, go lay down!" Mom ordered. "Jace, if I were you I'd get changed into something a little more... presentable. We're having dinner with them tonight and I want you to make a good first impression. And besides, it'll give you a chance to bond with Ty since he'll be going with you to school for the first day tomorrow."

"Alright fine but I have one more question."

"Go ahead."

"Where's he gonna sleep? Sure as hell ain't sleeping in my-"

"Heavens no! He'll take the upstairs guest room while his parents take the one downstairs."

I sighed in relief. Last year I had to spend a few months sharing a room with another boy while I was temporarily moved to another school and I did not want to go through it again. "Good, good. Now if we're all finished with this conversation I'd like to go clean myself up. Call me back down when they arrive."

I trudged back up the stairs but before I approached my room, I had a feminine voice coming from my younger brother's room.

I peeked my head in the door to see Leo playing some sort of virtual battleground game whilst on a call with my friend Miki's younger sister; Mallory. I didn't even have to check his phone to tell it was her, Mallory's voice sounded almost identical to her older sisters. In person, they look the same too, besides the two year age difference and their hairstyles.

I smiled to myself thinking about how cute it was for Leo to be talking to her. The two were best friends but they also had mutual crushes towards each other. It's was super adorable.

A few minutes later I was back in my room and getting ready. I had slipped on a casual white dress and tied my hair up loosely. Just as I finished I heard the familiar sound of our doorbell ringing and my dog barking madly.

I snuck over to the top of the stairs where I got a clear view of our visitors at the front entrance. I first noticed a man and woman baring bags and suitcases. Behind them was a boy who looked about my age who I assumed was Ty.

'Woah.' I thought, staring at him up and down. 'He's hot.' Ty had shaggy, sandy blond hair that he had to shake out of his brown wide eyes. His tight white tee-shirt showed off every bit of his chest and arms.

I had to admit,

I was impressed.