Chapter 55

Newt glanced sleepily at his clock and yawned. He started as he realized that it was a quarter past midnight. Rubbing his eyes, he tidied up his papers and clicked off the lamp on his desk. He changed into his pajamas and flopped onto his bed. He hadn't realized he was so tired until he'd noticed the time. Blinking blearily, he tugged the covers up to his chin and rolled onto his side.

       His eyes closed, but they opened again as a shuffling sound reached his ears. He lay still for a moment, recognizing he noise. It was Tina, and he guessed that she must be having trouble falling asleep. There was another rustling sound, followed by a weary sigh.

       Newt sat up and kicked his blankets aside, and walked decisively out of his room. He smiled softly as he recognized the huddled silhouette of Tina, who was curled up in a mass of blankets, wide awake. 

       "Hello," she said quietly through the darkness. 

       "Hello yourself," Newt replied, going over to sit on the edge of the couch.

       "Did I wake you?" Tina asked.

       "No," he answered. "I'd just gone to bed."

       "I can't sleep," she explained needlessly.

       "I thought so. What's on your mind?" he asked, knowing that the Auror tended to have trouble sleeping when she was preoccupied with something.

       "Nothing," she replied.

       Newt raised his eyebrows at her disbelievingly. Tina sat up to get a better view of him. "I'm not lying. Nothing is bothering me. I just can't sleep," she assured.

       Newt nodded slowly, understanding exactly how she felt. Sometimes, no matter how hard he tried, he just was not able to fall asleep. "How about we go outside? To get some fresh air and all," he offered.

       "Outside?" Tina frowned. "In the middle of the night?"

       "It's not as bad as it sounds. A lot better, in fact. I've had to do it countless times seeing as my profession is Magizoology. You can even see the stars from here," he said.

       Tina was looking thoughtful, but also skeptical. Newt stood up briskly and went to his room to fetch a bundle of blankets and a few pillows, then returned with everything spilling out of his arms. 

       "Come on," he said encouragingly. "And bring yours, too."

       Tina stared at him, then shook her head helplessly and grinned. She gathered her blankets together and stacked her pillow neatly on top, then followed Newt out the door.

       They emerged in the cold, crisp night air. Everything around them was dark and chilly, and an owl hooted dolefully in the distance. The grass in front of Newt's apartment was lush and tall, though slightly dusted by a thin frost. A breeze glided around them, ruffling their hair and pajamas.

       Newt guided Tina over to a patch of grass, and spread his thick blankets on the earth, folded over twice to give them extra warmth. He sat down and patted the empty spot next to him, inviting Tina to settle down.

       She huffed softly as she lowered herself down next to him, plopping her pillow behind her. She billowed her blankets over them both, and scooted closer to Newt, leaning against his shoulder.

       "This isn't so bad," Tina murmured.

       "I told you," Newt said, grinning.

       He laid down flat on his back, and Tina did the same beside him. Above them, the inky black sky was scattered with faintly glowing stars. Some were just tiny pinpricks in the distance, and others seemed to be glowing as brightly as though they were only a few miles away. They spanned across the night sky, glittering luminously against the dark background. A few were even tinted red or blue, and they pulsed among the others.