Chapter 50

Tina smiled as a mass of gray fur pushed itself around her legs, winding in and out between them. Ever since they had taken in the three Kneazles, they seemed to be a lot happier. Newt had gotten a liscense for ownership yesterday. He told her that it had only been a series of basic spells, to prove that he was capable of keeping the Kneazles discreet.

       They had named them already. The largest, dark gray one was Mauler, the silver speckled one was Milly, and the tiny, spotted, yellow one was Hoppy. Tina particularly like Mauler, and she had a suspicion that Newt had taken a slighter fonder liking to Hoppy, though he would never admit it.

       All three of the Kneazles had their own distinct personalities. Mauler was the leader of the group, and could be rather fierce. Most of the time though, he was very relaxed, and liked to prowl through the apartment. Milly was the only female of the group, and she seemed as delicate as a flower petal. She walked around lightly, arching each paw up high before setting it down into the floor. She was smart, too, though. Everytime the Kneazle wanted something, she would sit quietly, tail wrapped around her paws, and stare at the item of desire with liquid blue eyes until either Newt or Tina caved. Hoppy was the most excitable, and had a never ending supply of energy and enthusiasm, hence his name. He was also the loudest, and tended to meow continuously at random intervals. 

       Tina bent down to stroke Mauler, who was still threading through her legs, purring. His previously dank and straggly fur as now sleek and glossy, and the black flecks stood out. His bright amber eyes were upturned to Tina, who had a hot dog in hand.

       "You know you can't eat hot dogs," Tina reprimanded sternly. "You'll get sick if you do. Why don't you go outside and see if you can find a mouse or something?"

       Mauler stood where he was, gazing intently at the hot dog and licking his whiskers. He meowed and butted her shins with his head, still wanting the treat.

       "No, Mauler," Tina said firmly. "This is human food."

       "Having trouble?" a voice asked.

       Newt appeared around the doorframe, and entered the kitchen. His gaze fell upon Tina first, and after lingering on her face for a second, snapped down to the Kneazle. "Ah, Mauler, you know you can't eat that," he said scoldingly.

       Newt walked over and bent down to scoop the dark gray Kneazle into his arms. "You know nobody touches Tina's hot dog. That will make her angry, and trust me, you wouldn't want to cross her."

       "What is that supposed to mean?" Tina said indignantly. 

       Newt, who was grinning, ignored her and carried Mauler into the living room, where he wouldn't be able to hunger after hot dogs. Milly was already in there, sitting elegantly on the coffee table, and not soon after, Hoppy came bouncing into view. He joined his littermates and all three Kneazles began to play fight. 

       Newt walked back into the kitchen, still chuckling. "You can thank me for saving your hot dog later," he said.

       Tina raised her eyebrows appraisingly at him while taking a bite out of her hot dog, which ruined the effect she was aiming for. "My hot dog was perfectly safe in the first place," she pointed out. 

       "You have mustard on your lip," Newt said, pointing to her upper lip.

       He grabbed a nearby napkin and dabbed at her mouth, gently wiping away the mustard. Tina felt a shiver run up her spine at his close proximity, and her fingertips tingled with electricity.