Chapter 53

A heavy thump made Tina look up, just in time to see a tawny owl sliding almost comically down the window. She hurried over, startled, but the owl had already recovered and now hovering dazedly. She hastily opened the window, and the owl swooped dizzily in. Its creamy feathers were rumpled from the crash, and its wide eyes seemed to be crossed. 

       To its leg was tied a smoking red letter, which Tina recognized all too well as a Howler. She suspected that she knew exactly who it was from. With a feeling of great caution, she untied the letter and gingerly held it, as if it were a bomb that could go off at any second.

       "Newt!" Tina called. "I think there's something for you."

       Just then, the scarlet envelope exploded with a loud bang, and a voice emanated from it, making her ears ring.

       "NEWTON ARTEMIS FIDO SCAMANDER!" Florence shrieked. "YOU HAVEN'T VISITED ME FOR ONE WHOLE MONTH! YOUR POOR OLD MOTHER IS DYING OF HEARTACHE OVER HERE! YOU GET YOUR BUTTOCKS OVER TO THE HOUSE TODAY, OR I'LL CURSE THEM OFF MYSELF!"

       The message was simple and to the point, but Tina had already backed up against the wall with her fingers plugged into her ears. The flaming letter ripped itself to pieces that floated down to the floor, where it became a pile of cinders and ashes. 

       Tina became aware that Newt had entered the room, and was standing there rubbing his face with his hand. "She needs to stop sending Howlers," he groaned.

       "No kidding," Tina agreed.

       The owl seemed to be of the same opinion, and hooted before flying out the window. Thankfully, it was successful in exiting the house without smashing into the window.

       "I suppose that means I ought to visit, or else she'll be here to curse my buttocks off," Newt muttered.

       Tina laughed, having no doubt in believing that Florence Scamander was more than capable of doing so. "I'll come with you, if you want," she offered.

       Newt perked up. "Would you?" he asked. "Oh, thank Merlin. Then we'll be able to get away quicker."

       "Your mom isn't that bad," she giggled.

       "Yes, she is," he insisted firmly. "She raised me, I should know."

       "Let's go and get it over with then," Tina said.

       Newt nodded in agreement and they Apparated with a faint, crackling pop. Spinning onto the corner of the his parents' block, Tina set off at a brisk pace behind Newt. The house loomed ahead, looking bright and friendly.

       "This should be exciting," Tina said.

       "Let's hope not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my mum doesn't lose it this time around," Newt replied.

       Tina elbowed him playfully. "Don't talk about your own mother like that!" she scolded.

       Newt winced and rubbed his ribs where she had poked him. "It's hard not to. You would too if you've known her for 30 years," he argued.

       "You say that, but I know you love her," Tina said, grinning. "She is your mom, after all."

       "Mum," he corrected.

       "No, it's mom," she said.

       "Not here, it isn't. It's mum."

       "Mom."