Chapter 49

Tina sat in the living room, filling out a form for a request to be employed as an Auror for the Minstry of Magic. Her white-gold Thunderbird quill flashed across the parchment, making a soft, repetitive, scratching sound. She'd completed the fields requiring personal information so far, such as name, date of birth, and height, but stopped at the segment labeled citizenship.

       She frowned as misgivings and doubts filling her. She was of course still an American, she had always been, and this concerned her. She thought that it would effect her eligibility to apply to be an Auror, but Newt had assured her that there were many people not from Britain who still worked at the Ministry. 

       Her other worry was about the fact that she was technically a criminal on the run from the American law. Both Newt's and her friendship with Jacob had violated the law, which strictly stated that relations with non-magic people were forbidden. However, as there were no such laws in Britain, maybe it wouldn't matter as much.

       Tina sighed, and her quill hovered over the parchment. She scribbled down  'American' in the blank space, and chewed anxiously at her bottom lip. This was the one thing that could prevent her from being an Auror at the Ministry. There was no way she would be reinstated back at MACUSA, as this was already her second strike. If she couldn't find a job here, then she would have to uproot and find another, that was neither here nor in America.

       "They won't take it that seriously," a voice spoke from behind her.

       Tina started, and twisted around to see Newt leaning his forearms on the back of the couch, where she was sitting. His hair was flopped over one green eye, and he had a crooked, reassuring smile on his lips.

       "I think they will," Tina responded despondently. "I'm a criminal, remember?"

       "Not an international one," Newt argued. "That title only applies to you in America, which you most certainly are not in."

       Tina had to admit that he was right, but worry was still gnawing away at her. If she was unsuccessful in acquiring a job here, then she'd have to look in other places, maybe even places that were a lot further away. And that would mean having to leave Newt.

       " know what you're thinking," he told her, and he walked around the couch to sit down beside her. "But you mustn't lose hope. You're strong, independent, and skilled. You've always had a belief in yourself, even when others couldn't see it. The Ministry will be sure to hire you, they could use people like you. And if they don't, well, then that's their loss."

       Tina smiled at Newt, his faith in her warming her. "Thanks," she murmured softly. "But it really all depends on what happens tomorrow. I'm going in for an interview, and that's when I'll know whether I'm hired or not."

       "Theseus is conducting the interview," Newt told her bracingly. "I know how he is. He'll let you join, no doubt about that. You might even be able to be on the investigation squad."

       "I'll make it work," she said, feeling more confident with his support.

       "I know you will. I've never met anyone more headstrong in my entire life. And I'm not just saying that to be nice," he added, blushing slightly.

       "That's good to know," she said.

       A faint mewling sound from outside distracted her. It was definitely a cat of some sort. This was odd, as there weren't many strays on this street. The shrill, desolate meow sounded again, this time louder, and accompanied by other mews.