Chapter 28

Tina rapped her knuckles on Queenie's bedroom door. "Hurry up!" she called. 

       "I'm done!" Queenie replied as she stepped out of her bedroom. "Let's go."

       Finally, Tina thought exasperatingly. She had agreed to help her sister look for a wedding dress, and was already regretting her decision before their mission had even started. If Queenie had taken the whole of ten minutes to put on a simple outfit, Tina didn't want to imagine how long it would take her to try on dozens of fancy dresses.

       "Alright, let's get this over with," Tina sighed as she followed her sister out the front door and down the stairs. 

       They emerged onto the quite street, and the twosome walked off towards a nearby dressmaker shop.

       "I wish I could buy one of those enchanted witches' wedding dresses," Queenie said wistfully. "You know, the ones with the fabrics that float off the ground..."

      Tina restrained herself from rolling your eyes. "You decided to marry a No-Maj, Queenie."

       "I know, and Jacob's real sweet, so I guess I'll just have to do with the No-Maj ones," Queenie sighed.

       Tina felt a small stab of sympathy for her sister. She knew how much fashion meant to Queenie. She understood that it wasn't just about looking good; her sister had a true passion for clothes, just like she did for her job. Tina suppressed a shiver as she remembered when she'd been demoted, and her sympathy increased.

       "Aw, Teen. You're so empathetic," Queenie gushed. "I can see why Newt thinks that's one of your best qualities!"

        He does?  A thrill of pleasure and excitement pulsed through Tina at the thought, followed by gratitude and appreciation. Newt really is perceptive. The brunette then blushed, embarrassed.

       "Let's get back to talking about your wedding dress," Tina said briskly.

       "If you say so..." Queenie sing-songed. 

       The sisters turned around the corner, and emerged onto the main street, which was full of people bustling around, arms laden with shopping bags. Cars roared by on the road, and children were clinging tightly to their harassed-looking mothers. All kinds of shops and stores filled either side of the street, ranging from a shabby little antique store to a brightly colored candy shop.

       "The dressmaker's shop is right up there," Queenie informed, pointing to a small building with an enormous display window at the end of the street.

       As they neared the shop, Tina could clearly make out the mannequins inside the window now. There were five of them, all wearing fancy dresses with elaborate patterns on them. Thinking that this was the exact sort of place that Queenie would shop at, she followed her sister inside as she pushed open the door. 

       A tinkling of the bell that hung directly over the door signaled their arrival, and an elderly woman that was sewing a dress on a mannequin looked up. 

       "Hello!" she said frailly. "How may I help you two lovely ladies today?"

       The woman looked so old, Tina was afraid to do so much as sneeze. She had gray hair that was gathered into a bun at the back of her head, and a pair of reading glasses dangled from a chain around her neck. Her back was hunched, and the top of her head barely came up to Tina's shoulders. The brunette was half-convinced that the old lady would keel over without warning at any given moment, and wondered how she was able to run a dress shop.