The Unity Chapter 1

Chapter One: How I Learned My World Would End

The plane called the passengers to board and I placed a finger inside my book, and I got up to go into the plane, following my family. Whenever I read I get stuck inside the book even when I stop in between. All I think about is the story inside the book.

The trip back to Miami was not interesting, I read and then I watched some movies. After a while I got tired of sitting around and not doing anything so I got up to go to the bathroom on the plane. The truth was I only wanted to stand up and stretch my legs. I didn't actually need to go I just wanted to move about the length of the plane.

I was planning to go "check" if the bathroom was occupied and then go back to my seat and sit down. I got up from my seat and I strolled down the aisle, but just as I was getting to the bathroom I was stopped by another person. It was a boy not much older than me. Although he probably thought that I was probably ten or eleven. Once I was mistaken for a 1st grader, ironically enough by 8 year old girl.

The boy reached for my arm. I had been wearing a jacket and had taken it off so when he touches my arm something happened between us. It felt like getting shocked by static electricity. It didn't hurt really, but it felt strange to me. How would you feel if you wear shocked by electricity? It was quick though so I didn't feel it for more than a second. The impression stayed with me though. It was like the lightning was going through my blood changing everything to only recognize that touch. How strange it felt for my very cells to recognize someone that I had never even met. Maybe it was like a mother who stands in front of ten cradles with a bunch of babies. Even if she never saw her child before she could recognize the baby that belonged to her. There was the special connection that allowed her to see her baby even in the midst of others.

I got a closer look at the boy in front of me. He had a nice face and really soft looking gold hair. He had gray eyes and he was medium height. To me he looked almost like a silent angel, stunned. Yes that was how I imagined angels looked like. I stood still trying to take him in. He probably already had a girlfriend that was waiting for him to return for her. He was cute though, very cute.

He shook his head and said, "Um hi. Look I know this is kind of weird for you, but I need you to trust me and come with me after this plane lands. Oh and I'm Robert." He seemed nervous, like as if I had spooked him. He seemed to have tried to plan a speech and it had totally failed. I was about to giggle, I had made a boy nervous. Me, the small and awkward, girl who had never even had a boy fall for her.

I raised my eyebrow looking him over. He was handsome in a way that seemed like he didn't belong in my world. I think I should stop reading fantasy love stories for a while. I might just be crazy and imagining this is happening to me. Yep, I probably am just imagining this. I read somewhere that when you go crazy everything seems real. Wow I can't believe that I made up such a good impression of an angel. People did say I had a good imagination, but still.

Robert looked back at me with his gray soft eyes. I am starting to think he might be a bit real. I didn't trust boys really. Especially the ones that were drop dead handsome, they were almost always jerks. I had always kinda hoped that one day someone would come that was my version of Prince Charming and sweep me off my feet. I thought boys were funny and they were fun to hang out with but I would never be friends with them or trust them.

Boys were bad news. The first thing that I thought of when I thought of boys was smoking, drugs, and drinking. But there was a type of glow around Robert that made him seem angelic to me. Maybe he was not like the rest. My friends all called me childish because of the way I am. For some reason I knew I could trust him, he was like an angel. How could I not trust him? So I said, "Aren't going to ask my name? It is normal to ask that, when someone first meets a girl."

Robert kind off blushed, "I kind-off know that already, sorry. I had to know that, it's part of the job to protect you. So I had to know your name, Nia." The sound of that nickname coming through his lips made shivers run through my arms.

Who was this person? The romantic part of me felt like giving him my number. The spiritual part of me felt like telling him that if he's the angel of death, he could take me away. I knew I wanted to be with him. Robert looked around the plane and suddenly grabbed my arm and pushed me through the curtains of Business class. His eyes narrowed and he stared through the small gap of the curtain.

He sighed and turned to me, "I would like you to meet someone." He said. In some part of my brain I noted that one should probably get to know strangers before following them anywhere. But the other part of my mind shushed the first part and hissed saying that since we were up in the air there would probably be nowhere to kidnap me.

A girl with long golden slivery hair glided through the curtain and placed her hand on my head. "Hello Serena. I have noticed that we have not been properly introduced by my annoying brother." I looked at her and then at Robert. They looked very similar with the same face, and hair color. They did seem related. But how do they know me? Why did Robert say he needed to protect me? I do not need protection. I live in a completely safe neighborhood. All I need protection from is that disgusting air plane food American Airlines has.

"What is your name?" I asked the girl. I noticed she had a sliver swirl ring on her finger. She shrugged, "My name is Clarissa, but that is not important. What is really urgent is the information we have for you."

I felt something coming the air around me seemed to tense with excitement and suspense. I had always felt that one day I would receive something that would change the way my life was, but I did not know what. Clarissa was looking towards Robert, edging him to tell me. But to tell me what? Is it the reason why he protected me? IF he protected me, or even knew me. I wanted to know what it was.

Robert grabbed me hand and placed a ring in it. It had the swirls on it and, it also had a diamond surrounded by a fish. I looked closer. Some of the swirls were gold some were silver. "What a beautiful ring," I whispered. Robert gently explained its meaning, "It stands for the elements. Can you tell me which is which?"

"Um, give me a minute." I looked at it and decided that the symbol representing water was the fish. The diamond could probably stand for earth, since a diamond IS a stone. But what about air and fire? I looked at the swirls closer. I got it, the gold ones are fire, the silver ones are are. Proudly, I told all this to the two kids in front of me. Clarissa nodded and said to Robert, "Well now we can definitely tell her the next part."

"This is going to sound really weird ok." I nodded and I noticed he slid the ring onto my finger. No he did not get to his knee. I wish. He instead told me the scariest words ever.

"The world is going to end, Nia. You are the only one that can stop it. We need you. I can only protect you from what is out there. But in the end, the prophesy says that you are the only one that can stop the human world from ending. Please. Help us."