Chapter Thirty Two

Von stood beside Kim's bed, a familiar sight not long ago when he passed away. But she was alone this time. Her parents were already on a flight from Seoul. The pain ripped his heart, leaving two painful wounds for the two women he loved most. Tear formed and were about to fall when two lady doctors came in with another personnel. He listened to their discussions.

"She is patient Kimberly Kim, no physical injuries but in a bad traumatic condition. She is under sedation."

Knowing Kim being sedated again, his heart became burdened. Von turned his back and went out of the room.

He wandered in the hospital trying to alleviate his feelings. Then he thought of the man who was the cause of all these problems.

"What about Jim?" Acid formed in his stomach causing him to vomit bitterness.

With three bullets hitting his body, he miraculously survived. Maybe the Lord has a way of making retributions for all he had done, Von thought.

After a few days, Kim was sent home. He hoped that the presence of her mother would speed up the recovery of Kim.

................

Months past and Von was ready to go with Michelle in heaven but decided to take a final visit to his love ones, especially Kim.

Oh no, why am I here. He was wandering in the mental asylum. I don't want to see her in this place. I can't forgive Jim. I will pursue you even to the ends of hell.

He passed the isles housing the women dormitory. A woman, in rugged clothes and uncombed hair, cried loud when two muscular female attendants pulled her out of her room. It caused panic in Von's heart. The voice resembled that of Kim. His heart beat faster as he looked through the uncombed hair of the woman that covered her face. For heaven's sake... You must not be Kim, you must not be Kim, he affirmed. And when finally the face of the woman uncovered, he took a deep sigh, the deepest ever he had done. His hands covered his face. Thank you Lord, she's not.

The sight is nauseating and he immediately left. He passed by a male dorm. The scene, the sound and the smell were likewise sickening.

As Von turned on a corner, two attendants appeared; they were quick on their feet. Thinking that the two would run over him, he instinctively went out of their way. He slipped through a brick wall and stumbled into a room occupied by a lone man. He was seated at the edge of his bed with arms covering his face and elbows leaning on his knees. He seemed to be crying in emotional pain.

Von slowly stood up, walked and knelt in front of the man. What is this that I feel towards him? I could feel his pain but it didn't arouse my pity. I felt anger. Why?

The man slammed his back on the bed and spread eagled his hands. Tears covered his face. His overgrown beard concealed his identity. Slowly, his eyes lit with fire and his laughter filled his room. Then very quickly, he cried again.

Von stood up to take a better view of the man's face. "Jim?" He remained standing, still looking at Jim's face. I couldn't be wrong.

Compassion filled Von's heart. It's was the feeling that alienated his heart for a very long time.

...............

"Michelle, my heart and mind are finally at peace. I have no more earth attachments. In fact I have forgiven Jim."

"So you are telling me that you are ready to come with me to the first heaven?"

"Yes my friend. Thank you for patiently waiting and helping me to recover from the effects of my misdeeds." He took a deep sigh.

Michelle read what was in his mind. "I think you still wanted to see Kim for the last time?"

"You're right. I just want to confirm if she's with her parents in Korea. But..."

"No need, Von." An angelic voice sounded in the mist. And when it cleared...

"Kim?" the two were in chorus and with wide open eyes.