Chapter Thirty One

Von sat down on the floor in the operating room, keeping vigil while doctors tried to save Michelle's life. His strength gone and couldn't get up to join the friendly souls praying around the operating table.

Oh God, what have I done? Many lives had been affected due to selfish desires I couldn't leave behind. Give me the strength, the courage and conviction to turn away from this earthly life and go on to where I belong. He wiped his flowing tears and covered his face with his palms. The evil thoughts and unnecessary activities that derailed his quest for a heavenly life slowly played in his mind. His agony was like a weight pressing down on his shoulders that he could hardly breathe.

The prayers stopped and replaced by murmurs Von couldn't understand. He looked around and then fixed his sight to the operating table and tried to listen.

It didn't take long when a mist rose amidst the doctors' heads and joined the other souls. It formed into a female figure and turned her sight to Von.

He stood up leaning on a wall as his eyes gazed at a smiling Michelle.

"No, no Michelle. It couldn't be," his voice under control but his emotion was building up and suddenly erupted like an angry volcano. "Noooooo!" With clenched fists, he released a loud shriek, agitating every soul.

Michelle looked more worried on Von rather than herself. "Von, you shouldn't worry about me. Don't blame yourself for what happened. It was my free will to help Kim. I couldn't allow a clean woman molested by a serial killer."

Von stooped down and started weeping.

"Von, aren't you happy? I saved Kim from Jim's evil desire? Is it not our mission?""

"Yes, we succeeded...but what about you? You lost your life and your family...like me. I can't forgive myself." His eyes continued to shed tears.

"All of us will lose our bodies which are just temporary and losing it for the sake of others is a victory. Our life on earth is passing and if spent usefully, victory is gained and in victory there is happiness and glory."

"You might regret it, Michelle."

"No I won't, because I have prepared for it. I detached myself from anything earthly. You see, even when I was alive, I joined the spirits in this world to help others. Those works had neutralized the bad deeds I have done and anytime I'm ready to go to the next plane...the first heaven."

"You mean you will leave me?"

"You can join me, if you want. But you can never do that if you haven't dropped your earthly desires yet."

"I still have to see Kim, I mean her future. And it might take long. How could I follow you? Where is the first heaven? I might get lost."

"And you'll find yourself in hell?" Michelle smiled, trying to make things lighter for Von.

"And I might not be able to leave and rot there forever."

"Are you joking me Von or is it your belief?"

"But that was what my folks had told me."

Michelle took a deep breath. "You know Von staying in hell forever, if you are a sinner, was a common belief instilled in our mind when we were still young. Well, the teaching is good in the sense that it could create fear within and would deter us from doing bad acts. But now that we are old enough to understand, we should know that we are part of God and that He would never allow us to be departed from Him. Also, He is a weak god if he allowed evil to snatch us away from Him, considering that we are His children. Think about it, Von."

"But why does God punish us if He truly loves us?"

"Always remember that God loves us and He would never punish us. The sufferings we undertake were the product of our own misdeeds. We are made to suffer to experience the same pain we inflicted others and in doing so, we learn not to do it again."

"How did you know all these things?"

"Just be sensitive to whatever happens in your life and you will notice that God is communicating with you."

The doctors and other medical personnel turned away from the body of Michelle. With sad looks, they prepared to leave.

"What about Kim? I think you better see her now."

"What about you?"

"Don't worry, I have companions. Now, hurry up my friend."

Von bid her good bye and sprang out of the room.