Chapter Nine

Kim opened her eyes. Surprisingly, her strength was back. The colors of the surrounding were there, pulsating in consonance with the beat of her heart, but not as vibrant as when Von was still alive. The coolness and tranquility of the room further helped her calm down from her devastating emotions.

Her mom was lying on a long sofa and her dad was seated, taking advantage of the time to take even a shallow sleep. She sat down slowly and quietly at the edge of her bed, trying not to create any sound to awaken her parents.

But the slightest cracking sound of the bed spring awakened the ever alert Mrs. Park. She got up and walked to her side. Her fingers slowly stroke Kim's hair and slightly massaged her back. "Good morning my dear, it's nice to see you looking good." She gave her a loving smile.

Kim smiled back, "Good morning, Ma."

"I'm happy to see your smile again, my sweetie."

Kim felt the warm embrace of her mom.

Her dad stared at them. He felt quite satisfied with the little sleep he had and what he was witnessing.

"Ma, today is Von's burial and I must be there..."

"But you're still weak; you might not be able to withstand the emotional pain of seeing him...or even his coffin." Her eyes widened and couldn't hide her concern.

"Don't worry Ma, I can handle myself. Von had always reminded me to be strong in any adversities and this is the time to prove him that I can do what he wanted me to be."

"But...are you sure you are strong enough to..." She stammered, feeling reluctant to Kim's decision.

"I think this is the best time to start moving on. I won't let this opportunity to pass, Ma. So if you want me to have an internal healing, allow me to leave this sickening place to accompany Von to his final resting place."

Before Mrs. Park could respond, they heard three successive faint knocks on the door. The three looked at each other momentarily. Her mom shifted her sight at the wall clock, it was 6am. They were not expecting any visitor on this day, especially at this early.

They watched the door opened slowly and a face popped in.

"Good morning sir, ma'am," Jim greeted them with a smile. He bowed a bit to show additional respect. Then he turned his sight to Kim. "Good morning Kim. It seems you are feeling better."

"Oh, Jim, you may come in," her father greeted back without standing.

Jim quickly stepped in, holding a bouquet of fresh and expensive flowers. The fragrance quickly finds its way to Kim's sense of smell. She closed her eyes as she took a deep breathe to inhale her favorite scent. The sweetness and fragrance of the flowers remind me of Von.

He embraced Kim's mom with one hand and kissed her left cheek.

Then he turned to Kim and handed her the flowers.

Kim smiled back as she received them. She inhaled once more. "Thank you, Jim, for my favorite flowers...and for your time. I heard from Ma that you were here many times."

"I worry about your wellbeing." He looked at her eyes and touched her right hand. He was trying to show a feeling of love and concern.

Kim didn't like his touch but didn't move her hand away from Jim's to show respect. She looked at the time on the wall before looking back at him. "Jim, I feel great this morning and I am attending Von's funeral."

Jim glanced at Kim's mom who was just standing beside him.

"That's what she likes, Jim."

"Do you think you can handle the pressure of your emotion?"

"Yes, Jim, you have nothing to worry."

He looked at Mrs. Park, anew. "I'll be with you, then. We will use my car, ma'am, if you may..."

Jim spent the time waiting in a cafeteria by the ground floor as Kim and her parents prepared themselves.

Jim was grinning from ear to ear. His fingers were tapping the top of the table as if dancing to the music of victory. I get what I want and you are not an exception, Kim. He sipped his coffee. The only question is how long it would take to have you.

Von stood in front of Jim. He could read Jim's exalting heart. And it worried him.

"Keep away from Kim. If you don't, it would be me against you, Jim." He banged his fists on the table. His burning eyes glared on Jim's, just an inch away. "You'll be sorry, Jim." He shouted on Jim's face.

But could a departed spirit does something to protect his love from the evil intentions of a living and powerful nemesis?

And what about his vengeance over his death?