Chapter Twenty Three

Kim clenched her fists and began to tremble. She wanted to get angry but fear overran her heart. Why this guy has a strong sense of smell, always following my tail. You are a cat who can't get lost! She turned around.

An imposing figure stood behind Kim.

Mang Teban knew that in a short time the guy would render him speechless so he hurried up to boldly use the little time left. "He was the silly guy who mauled me, Kim. Von wanted you to keep away from him. His intention is not pure and Von wanted to warn you." His words, though spoken fast, were quickly absorbed by Kim.

Jim's face reddened and with eyes burning, he brushed aside Kim with one hand and walked toward Mang Teban. With the way Jim looked at him, he knew that his stay on earth will finally end. But he would not allow it to happen that easy in his own turf. He stepped backward and grabbed his shovel. He raised it up and swung to the direction of Jim's head.

But Jim was ready and too quick for the old man's move. He parried it down and threw a punch, grazing his left temple. It wobbled his knees but managed to stay on his feet.

Kim got up and pulled Jim from his back. "Stop it, Jim. Have mercy."

But Jim was in the height of his anger and there was no stopping for him. He pulled the shovel from Mang Teban's grip causing to lose his balance.

But as Mang Teban was falling down backward, his hand touched a chunk of concrete chipped from Von's grave. Jim straddled over him. No way could he throw it to Jim's face.

Jim raised the shovel over his head. "I told you, the next time we meet; you'll be a dead meat!" Jim shouted in anger.

"Jiiiiim!" All Kim could do was shout and close her eyes.

And Von...he turned his back and looked away with cloudy eyes. He couldn't bear seeing his friend die in the hands of Jim.

But Mang Teban wasn't giving up. The nearest part of Jim's body was his feet. So, with full force, he swung his arm with the chuck of concrete, hitting Jim's shin. His action simultaneously changed the location of his head, causing the shovel to miss its target.

Jim dropped backward over Kim, groaning and holding his left shin.

Mang Teban crawled away and disappeared among the grasses between the tombs.

Jim's two bodyguards came and helped him into his car. The other one came back but unable to find Mang Teban.

Kim remained silent during their trip home. Jim's actions surprised her. Never had she thought that Jim had that kind of personality which she never saw in Von.

Still feeling the pain from Mang Teban's retaliation, Jim forced himself to sober down. I'll get back at you old man. I have something more important to do. I must win back your confidence and trust on me, Kim.

Jim's promise never to repeat his action was not the reason why Jim earned his second chance. Kim was planning something and she wouldn't like to stir the hornets' nest.

But Jim had his own thoughts. It's not my way of asking forgiveness for what I did, but I must do it. The time is near and I wouldn't let Kim suspect about my plan.

Jim looked away from Kim and smiled devilishly.