40. Arthur Shelby: The War

The boys could hardly believe it when they were told it was time to go home

The boys could hardly believe it when they were told it was time to go home. The war had been a hellish nightmare that never seemed to end for the men who had survived it so when they were shipped back to their homes they felt like foreigners.

Not Arthur though. He knew that he was going home to the place he belonged because that's where he had left you, the girl he loved.

When the train pulled up to the station Arthur was one of the first to get off of it. The men around him all seemed to stand still as they entered Birmingham, as if they couldn't believe they were finally home.

Arthur didn't waste any time by standing around and waiting, he pelted through the streets, running as fast as his legs would allow him. You worked at the Garrison, at least you did when he left so that's where he went.

Arthur burst through the garrisons doors, it was practically empty due to the fact that all the men had gone to war. You turned around startled. Arthur's chest burned as his lungs tried to take in enough air after his running but he ignored it.

You dropped the glass you had been cleaning, his name escaping from your lips before he ran to you. He grabbed you so roughly it would surely leave terrible marks tomorrow but you didn't care.

You let out a cry and you squeezed him. "Tell me it's true! Tell me I'm not dreaming." You begged as you indulged in his scent. "It's not a fuckin' dream, I'm back darlin' and I ain't ever fuckin' leaving you again!" He cried loudly. The war had been pure hell and you were the only escape he had, you were the only thing that kept him fighting.

It didn't seem real, this is what the two of you had been praying for for the past few years so all you could do was hold each other and allow the pain of missing one another wash off of your bodies.

*******

I realised that when I write about Arthur I tend to make it sad so here's a bit of fluff for ya😉