Chapter 39: "Friendly Revelations"

Start from the beginning

"thank god, you're okay. when i went into muffet's to see ya, you were nowhere in sight so i waited, and waited until muffet told me ya were sick and i was gettin' real worried there." He suddenly spoke. "Oh, jeez Papyrus... I'm so sorry, I should've called you but it slipped my mind. I feel like such a terrible friend." You groaned, leaning back on the couch, sighing slightly. Maia gently patted your leg at that remark, mouthing "You're not a bad friend, relax." to calm you.

"nah, nah... you're sick, kid. i don't mean this in a rude way of course, but ya aren't in the right state of mind, ya know? so, i understand and i'm not upset. just glad you're okay!" He replied gently, the warmness in his tone making you smile and get all warm and fuzzy on the inside. "I-oh, well..." You giggled, rubbing your cheek gently to cover your faint blush. "Thank you, oh my gosh..." You replied and you heard him chuckle deeply.

"oh, by the way, sans and i will probably be bringing ya dinner tonight. he just overheard that you were sick and is on his way to make ya something." He started, pausing. "chara told us that humans eat soup when they're sick, yeah?" He added, almost as if he was double checking the fact. "Yeah, uh—we do, actually. And thank you so much... But you guys don't have to make us anything." You told him gently and you heard him snicker to himself again. "oh, honey, there's no stoppin' sans. once he's goin', he's goin'. so, i'd better go help 'em. or, ya know... the soup could actually make ya more sick." He replied, chuckling again. "Of course. I'll make sure to update you on how I'm feeling. Thank you so much for understanding, Pap!" You chirped. "ey, it's no prob. i'll see ya tonight, friendo!" Papyrus replied and your smile faultered a bit. "Alright, bye, Papyrus. I can't wait to see you and Sans. Ciao!" You spoke before hesitantly hanging up your cell phone.

"I swear," You started after a short pause, sighing deeply, "it gets harder and harder to say goodbye whenever we talk." you finished softly. Maia gently pat your thigh again. "I know, but just think, in a couple hours you'll see the skeleboy again!" Maia exclaimed enthusiastically and you smiled, nodding. "Yeah, I suppose you're right. Just hope Sans' food will be palatable though." You joked and Maia furrowed her eyebrows. "His food can't be that bad." She murmured and you shook your head. "I disagree. It's a well known fact that Sans hasn't mastered much culinary skill yet. But I still love him to death, he's a pure little marshmallow." You giggled and Maia soon joined you. "Well, I hope the dinner is good tonight. I don't wanna vomit in front of your friends." Maia chuckled, causing you to grin and reply with "Same here." in response.

And then, came a dreaded awkward silence. It lasted for a few minutes, until you finally thought of something to say. "Maia, you know the moment we met?" You asked and she lifted an eyebrow. "Uh, yeah? Mrs. Thomas's Junior year art class." Maia responded and you nodded, validating her response. "Exactly." You murmured and she shifted in her seat. "Now, what are you going on about? What about how we met?" Maia asked and you clicked your tongue. "I was insanely jealous of you when we were first acquainted." You admitted and Maia blinked in surprise. "Why–?" She questioned and you shook your head. "Your art, Maia. You were so freaking advanced! Compared to well... Me!" You explained and her mouth gaped open in surprise. "Really?" She asked, reiterating her surprise. "Yeah." Was all you spoke at first.

"It... I don't know, the teacher always praised you and just gave me a damn nod every week... It made it hard to create and that made me even more jealous of you... So I kinda disliked you when we first met. But then, I saw who you really were and—in a lack of better words—fell in love with you. Platonically in a friend way, of course." You continued, sighing. Maia smiled at that, throwing her arm around your shoulder. "I'm really happy about that, (Y\N)." She spoke, grinning wider. "I mean, look at us now! Two peas in a pod. Sticking together like glue even though two of our mutual friends slipped away." She responded.