Chapter I: Origination

6:30AM. Thursday, the 4th June 2007. I woke up to R. Kelly playing quietly in the background from the radio. After shrugging off my sleep inertia, I made my way to the bathroom, rubbing my eyes groggily. As I passed by my mahogany desk - I stubbed my pinkie toe and cursed.

Whilst brushing my teeth, I couldn't help but think of Harriet; the love of my life. The lustre of her brunette hair coincides with the gleaming smile; her eyes shine vividly like white sapphires, but have the value of red rubies. Mother Nature was kind.

It's a good thing it didn't leave me out either. I went from a 5 feet 3 inch eleven year old to a 6 feet 4 inch, 235 pound quarterback for my school's varsity team: Virginia Vikings. An African-American football player with a muddy brown high top who's achieved many accolades, from winning the state championship to receiving twelve Division 1 scholarships. Whilst daydreaming about 'my love' and choking on the toothpaste that was building up in my mouth, my difficult little sister, Simone, walked in. Strands of brunette hair covered parts of her face. She tucked it behind her ears.

"Mom says you've got to make me breakfast, I'm not old enough to do it myself," Spewed Simone, a mischievous grin on her face.

"You're seven. What are you doing up anyway? You should be in bed."

"Have you seen what time it is?" Asked Simone with curiosity.

I turned my head to the right and perceived the time that was displayed on the clock above the mirror, 7:00AM. Thoughts of confusion ran through my mind. I'd wasted half an hour daydreaming about a girl. There was a reason for the grin on her face. She saw me.

"Maybe next time you should stop thinking about girls who don't like you," exclaimed Simone whilst bursting out in uncontrollable laughter.

"Shut up or I'll tell mom that you took her make-up to school."

Suddenly, she went silent. She pulled a sour face at me and I proceeded to do the exact same thing back. I cooked her scrambled eggs with wholegrain toast, and after I took a scorching hot shower that probably burned 70% of my skin, I continued to get ready for school by putting on my clothes and grabbing my ID card. Before leaving my humble abode, I went into my mother's room. There she lays, watching cable TV.

"I'm going to school now Momma. Love you."

"Love you too sweetie," she said in a calm, soothing voice. After giving her a peck on the cheek, I ventured out to my destination: Virginia Maple High School.

It was a two minute walk from where I lived, 24523 Ashland Avenue. The sun smiled down its rays onto the street, covering it with a sea of light that could be seen for miles. Birds from tall, oak trees chirped freely and flew from one place to another without any hassle. Kids on bikes, as well as middle-aged men and women went about their daily lives. I admired the scenery until I arrived to the front entrance of the school.

All of a sudden...

"YOOOOOOOOOOO!"

It was a shrieking noise that sparked my ear drums and made them tingle, but I recognized that distinct voice. It was my best friend, Ronnie Herman.

"Hey! I know you hear me boy!"

He was running erratically, as if he was being chased by a pack of wild dogs. He greeted me with a big, sweaty hug.

"Ronnie? You good?" I asked, "you seem hyper and...sweaty."

"Hyper?" His voice all shades of confused, "I'm not hyper, I'm just happy to see my best bro!"

"Right, you is just crazy."

He rubbed my head hard, messing up the formation of my hair. Angrily, I combed it back out again.