Chapter Five

*Reagan*

After managing to slip away, I finish my task of walking Twix for twenty minutes. Carson isn't in the barn when I return with the bay horse and I don't necessarily mind. I am embarrassed with the way I handled myself earlier, and I'm not particularly ready to see pity directed towards me.

I head toward the second pasture and look at Baby Ruth, Carson's beautiful buckskin gelding. The horse is grazing just a few yards away and I long to sit upon his back. I am sure his gait is one to marvel over. He seems sturdy and confident. Just like his owner.

I spot a seal brown horse in the distance, nearly identical to the color of a Hershey's bar.... I bite my bottom lip, wondering if this is Carson's daughter's horse. There is no way for me to tell... There's another dark brown horse in the pasture with Baby Ruth and the supposed Hershey, but my gut tells me it is. She seems gentle, walking cautiously as she grazes. She is beautiful.

"That is Hershey. The dark appaloosa beside her is Milky Way. You can't see from this angle, but he has a white rump with dark spots. He's simply gorgeous. And this gentle beast," Carson pauses, having snuck up behind me. He reaches out a hand as Baby Ruth hurries over to meet his owner. Carson scratches his forelock. "This is Baby Ruth."

I smile softly as Baby Ruth leans his head into Carson's touch, yearning for that scratch he's receiving.

"They're beautiful animals, aren't they? They are so powerful and so smart. They lay claim to land all over Wyoming... One day, I'll show you some of the wild herds. It's best done on horseback, so you'll have to start learning how to ride." I let out a soft chuckle, shaking my head.

"I used to ride when I was younger. It's been a while. But it's a skill you don't lose... I can see you've done well with breaking these horses, Carson. Hershey looks as though she is the easiest ride, very attentive to what you command. Baby Ruth looks as though he can tear through any terrain with a sure foot. And Twix," I point to the barn behind me. "He had the energy of a child on it's third cup of coffee, yet he never bolted. You should be proud of yourself."

Carson seems to shine under my praise, offering a grateful smile in my direction before leaning forward to place a kiss on Baby Ruth's forelock. The horse lets out a loud snort and takes three steps away to graze, once Carson breaks contact.

I admire the love Carson has with his animals. Speaking of...

I gaze around for the large white cloud that attacked me with kisses yesterday. "He's at the vet, getting vaccines, a bath and his nails trimmed. Spa day for Koda." Carson chuckles and I am amazed at how easily he can read me.

He knew I was watching Hershey and he knew I was looking for Koda... Am I that open?

"How's your arm? And your hand?" I open my right palm, glancing at the cuts that just aren't healing. They are getting irritated because instead of resting it and keeping it clear of contact, I have been using my hand for everyday, menial tasks.

"My arm is better. The medicine has been helping, but it's still too soon to tell. My hand and feet hurt but-"

"Feet?" Carson asks, turning to give me his full attention. His eyes drop down to my boot-clad feet. "What happened to your feet?" I try to ignore the hiss of anger in his tone.

"Just a product of my own stupidity and determination. I'll be fine." I try to give him a convincing smile, but I am sure it look as if I have some sort of involuntary tick.

I hear gravel crunching and tilt my head, my hand lifting to shield my eyes from the sun as I spot a large yellow bus driving past Carson's home. I hear chatter before the boys come into my line of vision. I smile softly.