Chapter One

All through our lives we make these things called memories. There important images, or video, captured in our brain, probably because they mean so much to us, even if we can't know that at the time. Some people will remember a snowfall, or christmas times. They can remember a day when they met their best friend, or cried over a boy. What happens though, when you can't remember anything?

My name is Holland Carson, not that you asked, but I figure you might wonder eventually. My first memory is openning my eyes to a white ceiling. I was fourteen years old. Most people who fall into a coma remember things from before they went brain dead for the amount of time they were, not me. I remember the doctor asking me questions about myself, none that I could answer. I couldn't even tell him my age. I didn't know who I was. I didn't know anything except basic knowledge, like math and language. I could tell the woman next to me was my mother. I could only tell because she was crying and after he told me my last name, he refered to her as the same. I soon learned I was in a coma for the last year and a half after a terrible car accident involving my dads small buick and a large mac truck. 

About a week after I had woken up, I was told my father died on impact. It didn't bother me because I don't know who he was, or what he looked like. I got to leave the hospital after about a month,  the doctors only told me my memory could come back in a few days or years, or never. The first thing we did when we left, is moved halfway across the world to Sydney, Australia. I don't know why we left, but I know we have now lived here for three years, and I still haven't met a single kid my age. My mom wanted to homeschool me so I could catch up and attend my senior year, and that's exactly what I'm doing right now. I'm on my last day of summer and ready to go to high school.

Being nervous was an understatement. I can't even remember a time I talked to a person my age and now I was going to be surrounded by three hundred of them in my class alone. I had already begged my mom to homeschool mor for my last year but she insisted she needed to go back to a normal life of working and her new job would make her spend even less time home. She would work from ten in the morning until eight at night meaning I would be alone a lot. She told me to make friends, but I don't even know how. 

So now as I get out of her car as the first bell rings and everyone is rushing to class and I don't know where to go. My mom grabbed my arm to pull me along and we walked up some stairs before reaching a set of doors. My mom pressed the intercom and a woman on the other side spoke. 

"How can I help you?" The woman asked.

"I'm here with my daughter Holland, she is a new student here."

The woman said no more but there was a loud buzz and my mother pulled open the door. We entered and then she walked me to another room, one she had clearly been in before because she seemed comfortable. She explained to the woman about how I was new and we were sent into the principles office where they covered the same things. I was handed a schedule and told to find my locker and then make my way to class and I was back in the regular office area before I could even say thank you. I rounded a desk but a secretary stopped me and told me I needed to step aside because there was something about to happen. Suddenly the door flew open and two police officers came in with a boy in between them. He seemed to be handcuffed although his hands could have just been behind his back. The first thing I noticed was his height. He had to be a few inches taller than six feet, and his hair added more height. Next I noticed his eyes, because they were on me. I must have appeared frightened because he smirked like something was funny. The officers pulled him into a room and shut the door.