14. I'll Give You Many Thoughts

Start from the beginning

"Oh," I say, sympathy flooding me. "I'm sorry to hear that. Look, I get bullied for being fat. Being skinny is OK and trying to change that is OK, too. I've come to the gym today to try and get into a habit of coming back more. I'm trying to lose weight. Half the reason is that the bullying is horrible and I want it to stop but also it's for me to get healthier and see myself as more beautiful."

Stephanie smiles at me. "I think you're beautiful."

"Really?" I look at her doubtfully.

"Yeah."

"Thanks. I think you're pretty, too."

Stephanie blushes. "Thanks, I guess."

"It'll get better. You just need to show them how tough you are, even if that means being an absolute savage."

Stephanie chuckles.

"Seriously!" I laugh and throw my hands up.

"Thanks, Martina," Stephanie says. "I really appreciate this but you don't even know me and you offered help. Why?"

"Well," I say. "Us girls have got to stick up for each other, right?"

"Yeah."

"You know, if you need anything, you can come to see look for me at school any time, right? At lunch, I'm usually sitting at that isolated bench in that grass area away from most people."

Stephanie nods and more tears fill her eyes. I frown sympathetically at her then embrace her in a tight embrace. Stephanie thanks me before she exits the bathroom and I finally get my chance to use the toilet. It's kind of comforting to see that someone else is going through the same type of problem I'm going through. Stephanie seems like a strong enough girl. She'll get through it. I'm sure. And if there are girls being bitches to her at school, she can come to me any time and I'll help her beat them up. Not physically, of course. Verbally. Verbal abuse is always better.

Obviously, I'm joking.

I finish up in the bathrooms then head back into the gym. I pass the cardio room and head down to the weights room. A mop of red hair catches my eyes. I look over to see Eddie doing bench presses. He's wearing a green tank top and black shorts. He doesn't seem to notice me so I stand and watch him. That's not too creepy, right? Trying to look occupied, I take out my headphones and put my phone on a spare bench. I place my towel and water bottle beside it. When I turn around, Eddie is sitting up, looking straight at me. I try to suppress a smile but can't help it.

Eddie walks over to me. He stands close and looks down at me. "Hey."

"Hi," I say, looking up at him. I look at his shoulders and biceps. They're so muscular. He must work out a lot then.

"What're you doing here?" he asks. "I didn't see you when I came in."

"I was probably in the bathrooms," I say.

Eddie opens his mouth then closes it. "Uh, OK. Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Oh!" I realise how that sounded. "No, no! There was this girl crying in there so I was just comforting her and talking to her. She goes to my school. Grade ten."

"Oh, OK. That makes a bit more sense," Eddie chuckles. He runs a hand through his hair and his shirt lifts up a bit. I look down but quickly avert my gaze. Eddie lowers his hand slowly with a puzzled look on his face.

"Sorry," he says.

"What for? Nothing's wrong," I say, still looking away slightly.

"OK," Eddie puts a hand on my cheek and moves my face gently so I'm looking at him again.