Chapter One

01

01. | A Familiar Face

The woman's slender fingers traced the outward folds of the delicate ferns as she walked through the forest's green wonderland. Her feet skillfully skipped over the tree roots that sprouted out from the earth's layers. While she walked she plagued herself with questions.

She wondered why the water flowed the way that it did and what commanded it to flow over the stones in the river. Thoughts of the wind constantly ran through her mind. She could keep herself up at night thinking about it. She often was left stunned when the crisp morning air would lay kisses against the flushed colors of her cheeks as she laid waking from her slumber under the morning sky.

She compared her wondering thoughts to that of her own feet. All that the woman finds herself doing is wondering middle earth, trapped in her mindless void.

"You will always be my king."

The phrase haunted her. She knew it was her voice but the person she was sharing those words with was nothing but a fuzzy figure — unknown to her.

"Good morning, my dear."

The warriors feminine hand quickly grasped the hilt of the dagger she had placed around her belt, the cold metal meeting her clammy hand. With unsteady breaths escaping her lips the woman spun around, her dagger revealed, facing the figure with the metal blade of her weapon shining in the sunlight. In one fluent motion the woman had the grey pointy hatted man pinned to the side of a tree, her lethal dagger pressed to his throat.

With her face set in a scowl the woman spoke in a threatening tone, "Who are you and why are you following me?"

The old man held no fear in his eyes as he was pinned not only by the woman's hands but also by her deadly antics. "I believe, that if I may speak so boldly, have a proposition for you." He said, wincing slightly when her blade pressed more harshly against his neck.

"Oh, please do tell. . ." She smirked menacingly as her piercing greens bore into the tired blues the supposed wizard wore.

"Gandalf the Grey. That is my name." As the the wondering wizard spoke he couldn't suppress the feeling of hurt that he felt once he gazed upon her all too familiar face. With only seeing Bilbo's face for the first time since the battle and now seeing her's, the nostalgia was all too real for him.

The wizard pushed his thoughts aside and focused on a new heart shattering revelation: If she doesn't remember me, she doesn't remember anything at all.

The woman released her hold on the older man and once her feet were firmly grounded she sheathed her weapon. Gandalf bashfully readjusted his pointy hat as Alycia's guarded gaze never failed to leave him. Gandalf sighed, attempting to brush off his nerves before he spoke to whom he hoped would be his new companion.