Call the Garbageman

~Jason~
It was near the end of my shift and I wanted nothing more than to fall asleep on the creaky bed in my dorm, but I had two essays that I needed to finish tonight. One thing at a time, I told myself. First, you need to finish your shift, then you need you do your homework.
      My stomach growled like a hungry dog. My paycheck had already run out - along with the food in my dorm. I would be studying on an empty stomach and a light head.
      I was five minutes from the end of my shift at the dining hall I worked in, when it happened. Now, I had dealt with many unpleasant customers in the week I had worked here. There was the boy who wanted twenty packets of mayonnaise. There was the girl who complained that we did not have any " dihydrogen monoxide-free food." This, however was the worst incident of my entire career.
        It was a fight. Naturally, it was a fight between a boy and a girl and as soon as they opened their mouths, I could guess it was relationship drama. The boy was built like a lightning rod: tall and thin. He looked faded with light blonde hair, watery blue eyes, and pale, almost translucent skin. As soon, as he began to speak, however, I could tell he was dangerous. He had the voice of a serpent: cold, but oozing with flattery.
       The girl different. She looked graceful with a neat braid of carmel-colored hair and a haughty expression on her face. When she spoke, there was a musical lilt in her voice.
       "I told you, I won't do it," she said.
        "You want everyone to know?" he sneered. "Your little secret will be out to the world."
          "Find your own girlfriend!" the girl said. "I want nothing to do with you, Octavian."
       Octavian grimaced as she spoke his name in a voice as sour as curdled milk.
      "Fine, soon no one will want anything to do with you," he sneered.
       She leapt at him and the dining hall grew quiet as they fell to the ground. The two were brawling like cats trapped together in a net. Each was out for blood and neither would give up first. I knew one thing: I had to do something.
      I started forward, only to be hit in the ankle by a flying fist. Ignoring the brief flash of pain, I tried to separate the two. I could not just idly watch this brawl on my shift.
      "You, both of you, stop!" I said.
         Apparently, that was the right thing to say. The two of them ceased their struggle and got to their feet, both still looking incensed.
      "I didn't know garbagemen were charged with resolving fights here," Octavian sneered.
      "Shut up," I said, my fists clenching together.
        "Go call the garbageman, there is a fight in this alley," Octavian smirked. "No one, but this piece of trash can save us all!"
       "I said shut up," I said tersely.
         "Leave him alone," the girl said.
          "You still have the chance, Calypso," Octavian said. "Take it now or you'll be the Monica Lewinsky of the school tomorrow."
      Calypso tried to charge at him, but I stupidly remained between them, hoping to prevent another outbreak of violence. I heard a gasp and felt a dull pain in my head. My legs grew weak and when I woke up, I was in my dorm room, my fist clenched around a red brick.