'Can I get some water?' I entered the kitchen and found Ayat looking out the window. She almost jumped when she heard my voice.

'Sorry I didn't mean to...' I approached her, but she walked in the opposite direction to get the glass.

'Here' She quickly filled the glass with water and passed it to me. My eyes went straight to her hands and I noticed that she wasn't wearing any ring.

'Where is your ring?' I couldn't help but ask. She looked surprised at my question.

'Sorry?' She asked.

'Engagement ring' I pointed out and rested the glass on the counter table.

'It doesn't fit right' She moved to the side to turn off the stove and started pouring tea into cups.

'What about him? Does he fit right?' I blurted out and she lost her grip and the hot tea splashed on her hand. I quickly grabbed her hand and put it under cold running water.

'Be careful' I said to her and examined her hand. Thankfully she didn't get any serious burn.

'I am fine' She snatched her hand from me and turned off the tap.

'I think you should go outside in the living room...everyone must be wondering where you are' She distanced herself from me and started blocking me off again.

'I am sorry if my question bothered you.' I looked at her when she turned her back on me.

'Why are you apologizing to me Mr.Hamza? Why are you here?' She asked me.

'What are you talking about?' I walked closer to her so I can look at her properly.

'You didn't come here to get water, did you? Why are you actually here Mr.Hamza?' She crossed her arms over her chest and questioned me.

'I wanted to see if you are okay' I confessed.

'And what do you see? Do I look okay to you? And while you're at it why don't you tell me how I should be looking after weeks after losing my father in an accident where he wasn't even a driver. My sister has locked herself in her room for days and is hardly eating...does that make you happy? Are you satisfied now?' Tears fell down her eyes and she let out all the emotions she was holding back.

'Satisfied? Do you think seeing you like this will satisfy me? Is that how you see me? Do you think I came here to laugh at your condition? Seeing you like this is hurting me so much...much more than I ever care to admit but I can't help it. You messed me up so bad Ayat. I can't think straight when it comes to you. I want to stay away from you but the minute I see you I can't help but look at you or talk to you. I am out here trying to see if you are holding up okay after your father's passing but sadly I am not sure if I am okay either after seeing you so broken' My eyes stayed on her and her on mine the entire time.

'Hamza!' Karim called out as he got back inside the house. When my eyes returned to her after turning around to check on Karim,  I found her few feet away from me, she was avoiding eye contact with me. She didn't know what to do after what just happened. I had no idea either. I walked back to the living room and saw Karim waiting for me by the main door.

'You look like you hit a deer' Karim said.

'Don't' I warned him and sat down. I was so confused. I didn't know what we were anymore. I didn't know what she wanted, or what I wanted for that matter. What kind of sense did it all make? Zero.

Hours passed rather quickly after Karim's mother joined us for tea. Karim and Ayat mostly talked about work and other things, whereas Karim's mother mostly asked her about her going to be in-laws. Ayat seemed unsettled when Karim's mother asked her about Zaid, her fiancé. Damn. I hated this word.