Part 20

I'm transported to a few months ago. Only this time, the reason why Robert's in hospital is a lot more serious and I have our son by my side. I still don't get why they didn't call Robert's girlfriend or his fiancee, I believe, but me. 

Eric is worried and I completely understand, I'm concerned as well. I don't have a lot of feelings left towards Robert, but he's still the father of my children and I would never wish him something like this. Eric's holding my hand like he used to when he was a little boy as we walk inside and then to the room, where Robert is. 

I wish to spot Lindsey on our way, but I don't. And the reason why is because he's by Robert's side. Our eyes lock for a moment before I look over at my ex husband. I'm guessing he's asleep and he looks... well, he doesn't look good. Eric lets go of me and walks over to his father, I remain standing by the door. 

"How is he doing?" Eric asks Lindsey without looking up at him.

"He's doing alright considering." Lindsey sticks his hands into his white coat's pockets and then turns to look at me. "I called your house, because-" He clears his throat, hesitant to continue. "Because his girlfriend decided to stay home after she called the ambulance."

"That bitch." Eric mumbles under his breath, but we both heard it. 

"I though your husband- ex husband could use some support from his family." Lindsey says and there's sadness in his voice. "Robert will be fine." Lindsey adds with a small nod of his head and excuses himself, walking outside into the hallway and I follow him.

"I got your flowers." I tell him, wrapping my fingers around his forearm to stop him from leaving me. 

"Good."

"But I didn't get to finish your letter." I say. "I don't know what was the one thing you were going to tell me."

"I don't think this is the right time, Stevie." Lindsey sighs, shaking his head. "Go be with your son, he's clearly worried about Robert."

"I am, too. But this isn't my place to worry for him anymore. I can show my support by bringing Eric here to be with his father. I don't want to be in there, when she decides to pay Robert a visit." I look down, clasping my hands together. I honestly don't want to face her, her and their unborn child.

"We can talk later." Lindsey shrugs, but I don't want to wait until later. 

"Please, don't do this." I shake my head slightly. "Please, tell me." I don't care there are people around us, some of them who I'm sure are Lindsey's colleagues. I don't care I might be causing a scene, I just want to hear him say whatever it is he has to say to me. I bring my hands up and cup his face without breaking the eye contact. 

"I don't want to seem like an inconsiderate jerk to your son. He needs you right now and I don't want him to come out here and see us like this, when his father is lying in a hospital bed after suffering a heart attack." Lindsey hangs his head low and places his hands over mine, then lets my hands fall by my sides.

"I can't do it like this." I tell him honestly. "I can't keep playing this messed up game. One minute we're fine, the next we're nearly broken up. I haven't seen you in a week, I missed you, I never want to be apart from you, Lindsey, longer than absolutely necessary. My heart melted, when I got those flowers and as I was reading through what you had to say to me, I had hope that we're okay. But then this happened and yes, Robert was in my life for a long time, but he's not my priority anymore, Lindsey. I'm here for my son, not for Robert. You don't have to worry about what Eric might think, you should be worried about what I'm thinking. And right now, I don't know what to think. I'm not sure if you really want me. Are you just stringing me along, are you... what are you doing with me?" I finally stop to breathe for a moment, aware of the tears brimming my eyes. "You have to make a choice, right now. I don't want to be happy with you one day and heartbroken over you the next. Man up, tell me what you feel and what this means to you. This is your only chance." I demand and I couldn't care less about the crowd around us, their heads turned our way.

It had to be only a minute or less that passed by, but it feels like an eternity, when Lindsey speaks up at last. "In that letter that you didn't get to finish reading, I said that I love you, too."