Part 7

"Hey, boss!" Greg, my assistant, greets me with a grin, a warm hug and then a kiss on my cheek. "Looking beautiful as always." He winks, holding me at arm's length.

I laugh, shaking my head at him. "I could be your mother, sweetheart." I let go of him, putting my bag down.

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it before." He rolls his eyes playfully as he stands with hands on his hips. "We've got about half an hour until the shoot. Mind if I run out for a smoke?"

"No, go ahead." I tell him, before quickly stopping him. "You know what, I'll join you."

Greg raises his eyebrow at me. "I didn't know that you smoke."

"Sometimes." I shrug, following him outside. "Today is one of those days."

"What makes you say that?" He asks, when we sit down by the back entrance to my studio. Sighing heavily, I light up a cigarette he's giving me, which is mint and I smirk at him. "I enjoy the taste."

"I signed my divorce papers this morning." I say, staring at the wall in front of me.

"Wait... You and Robert are separating?" I know, it came as a shook to everyone I've told this.

"Yes." Nodding my head I reply, but I don't get into more detail.

"Man..." Greg whistles and his eyes light up. "My dreams are coming true!"

I appreciate his humor, nudging him in the side with my elbow. "You see, it's my husband, who likes girls, barely older than our daughter. I don't really go for younger men, much younger men." I add.

Ever since Greg started working with me, we've been having this thing, where he tries to get me in bed and I tell him no every single time. It's harmless, it's just a joke, but I can't lie and say, I'm not flattered.

"I don't give up easily, Mrs. M."

"I suggest you do, honey." I tell him, laying my head on his shoulder and his arm wraps around me.

All kidding aside, Greg asks. "Are you okay?"

"Surprisingly yes, I'm fine. It feels right." I shrug, sitting up straight I stub out the cigarette. "Come on, we've got work to do." Without a word, Greg walks behind me back inside and I glance over my shoulder, catching his eyes. "Don't stare at my ass."

"Can't help it." He shrugs and I shake my head at him with a sigh.

The photoshoot while extremely boring and with unimaginative ideas, goes by relatively fast. The couple are making an announcement to their friends and family about their engagement, it's overly sweet and I'm glad when it's over.

"I'll send you the pictures in about a week." I tell them with a smile and they thank me, saying, they can't wait to see, how they turn out.

"I'm never getting married." Greg announces as he starts cleaning up the space.

"And why is that?"

"Well, what if I settle down and you decide to give me a chance at last?" He smirks and I roll my eyes.

"Greg, darling, that's never going to happen." I add, jokingly. "You couldn't handle me."

"There's only one way to find out, right?" He wiggles his eyebrows, making me laugh. At least, he put me in a better mood than I was before arriving.

Grabbing a bottle of water, I take a seat and search for my cell phone in my bag. I look through the messages I've received and a couple of missed calls. One of them is from Lindsey, so I call him back.

"Hey, you called?"

"Hi, yeah. Uh, listen, about tonight-" He starts and I know nothing is going to happen tonight.

"Okay, go on."

"I'm going to have to see you some other night or we can meet up for a quick drink, I've got to be some place at 9 pm." Lindsey chuckles nervously as if he's afraid to continue. "I've got a date."

A date. Lindsey's going out on a date. With a woman, another woman, who is not me.

"Stevie, are you still there?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, I'm still here." I clear my throat, prolonging the pause, deciding what to say to him. "We can see each other another time, it's fine. I'm kind of busy anyway." I lie.

"Oh, good. Good. Then have a good night, Stevie. I'll call you."

"You too." I say, but I hope his night is a disaster.

Lindsey hangs up first and I remain seated, staring at the screen. "Hey, Greg?"

"Yeah?" He responds and I tilt my chin up to look at him.

"What are you doing tonight?"