Part 5

Okay, calm down. This is just a total coincidence. He spotted you, he's being friendly, he bought you a drink. Just go, say, hi, thank him and walk away.

After giving myself a pep talk, I slide off the high barstool and make my way to Lindsey, who's sitting alone at a table across the room. He's smiling at me as I approach him and I smile back at him.

"Is this seat taken?" I ask, already failing at what I just promised myself I would do.

"No." Lindsey shakes his head, showing me to sit down and I do.

"Thank you." I say, raising my glass and so does he.

"Not a problem."

He looks different. The white coat is gone and he's wearing light blue jeans with a white shirt, a couple top buttons undone. He's a very handsome man. I guess, I don't look the same either and I notice him checking me out, he's not being very discreet.

"So, are you going to tell me what really happened earlier today? Or you just like to have a drink on your own every other night?" Lindsey cocks his head to one side, waiting for me to answer.

A weak smile crosses my lips and I shrug. "Marital problems." I say, my lips touching the rim of the glass.

"Anything to do with that girl?"

I frown. "What do you know about her?"

"Well, I know she came in with your husband, when he injured himself. She left in a hurry, before coming back at the same time, when you showed up yesterday. You left and she showed up again, and then this morning, too."

"Robert's been seeing her behind my back." I sigh, looking away, because I'm embarrassed.

"What a fool." Lindsey says and I look up somewhat shyly. "I can't think of a reason, why he would have to do that."

"Are you married?"

"I'm not." He shakes his head, leaning back in his seat. "Well, to my job maybe."

I chuckle lowly and sip my cocktail. "We've been married for over twenty years. I guess, he got bored. They've been having an affair, while I thought our marriage, while not perfect, was pretty damn solid." I'm more interested in Lindsey's relationship status, than my failed marriage. "Seriously, not even a girlfriend?"

Lindsey laughs, shaking his again. "No. I've been engaged before, but I never got to the altar. I don't know, maybe she wasn't really the one. Did you talk it out with your husband?"

"It's not something you can talk it out, I don't think." I shrug my shoulders. "I told him, I want a divorce. But I don't want to talk about it."

"Sure." Lindsey nods and buys us another drink.

We spend about an hour getting to know each other and it's strange. The conversation just flows and I find myself wanting to know more about him. One thing I'm beginning to understand, however, is that he's a caring, good doctor while he's at the hospital, but he seems like a completely different man right now. I'm getting a feeling that he's looking to get laid; the compliments, the subtle touch of hand... I mean, would it be so bad? Robert did it, why can't I do it? Besides, we're over anyway.

"This place is closing soon." Lindsey says, sounding nonchalant.

"Oh, yeah? Any suggestions, where we could go to next?" I circle my finger around the rim of the glass, crossing one leg over the other.

"My place is open 24/7."

Yup, this guy wants to get laid. I don't know why he wants me though, he looks like he could have any girl he in here, much younger than I am, too.

"Do you often bring home the wives of your patients?"

Lindsey laughs, covering my hand with his. "It's happened before, but not as often as you might think."

Okay, so I'm hating my husband for cheating on me and here I am, ready to go back to some random guy's place, who clearly has nothing against sleeping with married women. This doesn't seem right. But then again, I've have a couple more drinks than I planned to, so when Lindsey rises from his seat, I take his hand and follow him outside. His arm slides around my back, while we're waiting for a car and suddenly I'm not sure what to say. Apparently, I don't have to say anything, when his lips press to my neck and my heartbeat quickens. His free hand touches the side of my face and he turns me, kissing me on the lips. I hesitate for a second, but then slowly, still unsure, I part my lips and respond to his kiss.

Lindsey pulls back and I feel slightly lightheaded. "Our car is here."

I get in first and I'm pretty sure his eyes are on my ass, before he follows me. The car moves and Lindsey's hand is on my thigh, when he kisses me again. It sneaks in between my legs and when it brushes against my center, I break the kiss, he's confused.

"I- I don't think I can do this."

"That's not what I felt. I'd say you're more than ready." His voice is low in my air as his lips attach to my neck.

"No, Lindsey, no." I push at his chest, shaking my head. "I'm sorry."

He pulls away, making some distance between us and it's beyond uncomfortable. I give the driver my home address and he takes me there in complete silence.