Part 11

A month has passed and it wasn't all that bad. I went on vacation for a whole week on my own. It was so much easier compared to when I used to try and arrange something for the whole family. I picked a location I wanted, I chose the time, I did things and visited places I wanted to. It's not like I forbade Caleigh or Eric to come along, but they had school and even if they didn't, they weren't too excited, when I brought it up.

After I returned home, I completely redecorated the master bedroom. All trace of Robert is gone and it's now my own little sanctuary. It sounds stupid, but I feel like I've started my healing process and it's been going great so far.

Except for one thing. Lindsey is still on my mind. I don't know why I can't just forget him. I saw him the other day, but he didn't see me and I made sure it stayed that way. I keep repeating to myself that I don't need him, I don't need anyone, but I'm not so sure. I've spent more than half of my life with Robert and I got used to having him around. Maybe it's just that, maybe I'm trying to find a substitute for him and I shouldn't. I can be alone, which is different from being lonely. I have friends, I have my children, I have my job and those are the things that make me happy.

When I arrive at my studio, Greg is already waiting for me with a cup of coffee. I smile at him and take a sip. Perfect, he knows exactly how I like it. Greg is the only man I need at the moment. He does so much for me, I couldn't cope without him.

"We have a cancelation."

"Oh, how wonderful." I roll my eyes, saying dryly as I take a seat. "I could have slept for several more hours."

"Well, no. Not exactly. I got a call right after from another client and he said, he'd like to meet with you. I told him, he can come in at 10, since you're free." Greg explains and I give a nod of my head.

"That's fine. Did he say what kind of a photoshoot it's going to be?"

"No. He wanted to talk to you first." Greg shrugs his shoulders, sitting across from me.

We chat for some time, sitting in the area usually reserved for the clients if they have to wait. I've finished my coffee and Greg takes the paper cup to toss it into the trash. I reply to a few emails, while I wait, at the same time only half listening to whatever Greg's rambling on about.

The heavy front glass door opens and I allow Greg to attend to whoever just walked in. As soon as I hear the voice, I freeze. Putting my phone down, I slowly get up and consider running away, but it's too late, when our eyes meet.

"Stevie, I'm sorry. I didn't know it was him." Greg pleads for forgiveness, a hand over his heart for emphasis, but I'm not angry with him. He couldn't have known.

"What do you want?" I narrow my eyes at Lindsey and I see his Adam's apple rise and fall.

"I- I needed to see you. You told me not to call you again and I didn't. I tried to forget about you, but I can't, Stevie. I thought this was the only way."

"I have nothing to say to you." I shrug, folding my arms over my chest.

"Then please, listen to me." Lindsey says, walking closer to me. "I'm sorry."

"You've apologized to me before. It doesn't mean much, does it." I scoff, shaking my head. I give Greg a look, letting him know he should leave us alone and he does. "You should go."

"Please, hear me out. I know the way I treated you wasn't right. And... and I didn't mean to." I frown. "I believe that there's a reason for my behavior. I don't know if you would understand, but I want to explain myself." He swallows hard. "Just let me talk and then I'll leave it up to you. Maybe you won't think I'm such an asshole anymore, I just... stuff has happened in my past and I don't think I've completely gotten over it. And I never wanted to, I guess, until I met you."

I stare at him for a moment, thinking. All I've promised to myself, I should just forget about it and let him back in? What if it's another lie? What if it's just another of his attempts? However, something tells me he's being sincere.

With a heavy sigh, I show him to take a seat.