Chapter 2 - New in Town

Start from the beginning

Mandy began to mull over her salad dully, pushing it around the plate instead of into her mouth. If there's one thing I noticed about her, it is that she didn't care for others' opinions of her. I honestly didn't think she was sad because of what they said about her, but rather it was because she was having a measly salad for lunch.

"Oh no, it's alright. I'm fine."
While locked inside in a battle of inner monologue, I smiled gently at her while questioning myself if I was actually okay with it.

To think that I probably would have been like them if I had stayed. Engaging in putting people down meanwhile acting like divas who own the joint. What they said was certainly shocking and I couldn't help but feel taken aback at ex-best friend's comment, especially about my apparent lack of weight.

It was something that always bothered me because although I have my appetite back and am no longer so afraid of food, my body was still refusing to put on enough mass. I mean, part of this could just boil down to genes. Tom was also tall like a stick, and in that case, I guess I couldn't really help how I looked or the shape I came in, Mandy too. Only I wish they wouldn't use that against anyone.

Watching the golden girls disappear back to their group of jocks and cheerleaders made me thankful that I'd progressed beyond that. It was a scary thing to think that those words could've come out of my mouth.

The bell rang for last period and Mandy quickly repeated the directions to the English block. Despite her efforts, I couldn't remember if it was left or right before the stairs, then towards the dance studio or gym! Even with the embarrassing map in my hands, I still turned up at the wrong door!

About ten minutes later, when everybody had long cleared the halls, did I finally find the right door. And crap... I was late. All the happiness with Mandy had long worn off and had been replaced with frustration.

I really disliked the feeling of being lost and not being in control of situations. It was something that I'd already felt that way for far too long, and the whole point of coming back to this school was so that I could prove to myself that I could do what I had once thought would be impossible. But with the start that I was experiencing–of what was meant to be an uneventful, normalized high school life– not panning out the way I'd imagine, things were starting to get to me.

I walked into the room. Mind occupied, eyebrows knitted together in irritation.

"And I'll presume that you're Miss Harper?" A sudden booming voice started.

I snapped my head up and upon meeting what seemed to be a hundred pair eyes of my fellow classmates I froze, finally remembering where I was. 

Shit.

I turned my head slowly to the blackboard and inhaled sharply. My teacher's eyebrows were raised, gaze steady as he drummed his fingers along his crossed arms. 

It was then I realized this has to be him, Mr. Green... The teacher practically everyone was buzzing about.

True to Mandy's words, there was no way that this was an ordinary teacher. The man that stood before me was insanely tall, with dark mahogany brown hair as rich as leather. His broad shoulders were strong, following a suit was his powerful and confident stature. His skin was lightly tanned and smooth, playing along to his jawline which was cut like shards of ice.

It felt weird to analyze him, I mean just the way he looked at first glance already made me feel uncomfortable. I almost felt unsafe with how conventionally attractive he was. His appearance just commanded that much attention. I was staring, I knew it, but that wasn't what caught me off guard.

It was his eyes.

They were one of the most strikingly deep blue eyes and I felt paralyzed like I was suddenly being confronted by a vast icy ocean.