Ch. 6

Cuidightheach was curing the deerskin while Marina was diving, almost literally, into the deer meat that was laying on a patch of moss beside the now smoldering fire. The skin wouldn't be ready until the next morning when he could see what he was doing, for now, he was just hanging up the skin to dry overnight.

Glancing over at Marina he couldn't help but laugh at the small girl wrestling with the giant cooked deer. 'I bet she could make for an excellent fighter.' he chuckled to himself. Then as if a rock slammed into his head, he decided that it would be good for her to learn how to fight so she could defend herself if need be. 'Maybe I should introduce her to fighting when she is older. Though, it would be good to insert some in her everyday life.' Nodding his head, Cuidightheach decided it was time to get back to the den, he didn't want to fly in the pitch black of night.

"Marina, we should be heading back." she looked up at the sound of her name.

"Wat about deer?" Marina still wasn't full, she wanted more of the tender, fall off the bone meat. Cuidightheach looked down at her and smiled, 'I'm glad she likes my cooking! She did help, not much.'

"I'll bring it back with us, but we both need our sleep. You can eat it in the morning." Cuidightheach walked over to where Marina was sitting with the deer. She seemed to be protective over it, like he is for his treasures, and was for his family.

Chuckling he took the deer into his mouth, "Come on, it's time to sleep." Marina reluctantly climbed onto his back. Wedging herself once again between his wings. As Cuidightheach made his way to the cliff, his movements lauled Marina to sleep.

When they were back in the den, he placed the deer back onto the flat slabs of rocks and then worked Marina, as gently as possible, off his back into his winged talon. Then to the bed that he had made for her. Satisfied, he curled around her and the mound on which she lay. Closing an eye, he drifted into the half-sleep of the watchful Beasts.