Ch. 7

About six hours later Marina entered a conscious state and started to speak.

"Mama, can have c-cake?" Cuidightheach opened his other eye, looking down at the girl.

"Nooooooo. . . I want cake, no bracle!" he lifted his head and looked at the girl puzzled, his left eye ridge lifted as he peered down at the girl.

". . . But I want cake!" realization struck him, 'She's dreaming, that's why.'

"Birthday prezez!" Marina moved her hands as if ripping something up, "Pretty! It's yellow!" Cuidightheach's eyes widened, he looked at the yellow/white fabric in her hands, 'Wait, was her Birthday yesterday?' Worried, he lowered his head and nudged her.

"Marina, wake up little one." Manina sighed.

"To tired Mama." he nudged her again, a little harder.

"Marina, it's time to get up." he licked her face.

Jumping up she looked around, spotting Cuidightheach.

"Who? W-w-what?" She started backing away, "Mama!" she cried tears in her eyes.

Seeing that she was scared he brought his head down, only inches away from her fragile form, cooing to her, she seemed to calm down, only to start a new stream of tears.

"W-w-where M-m-mama? I w-want mama!"

"Come here child, I will not hurt you." Marina almost immediately jumped to his snout and gripped the smooth, slick scales and cried till she had no more tears to shed.

After she had calmed down, Cuidightheach slid from her grasp. The sudden release of closeness made Marina feel very vulnerable, dropping to her knees, hiccupping from the sudden and hard release of feelings.

Her eyelids drooped and her face was beat red, "C-can I-I, h-home?" shaking his head sadly, it was already too late, he could not return her to her family, 'I should have returned her when I had the chance, I'm so selfish.' He knew that he would have to wait until she was older, so she would understand that he wishes to live unknown.

"I'm afraid, you will not be returning to your family anytime soon." it pained him to know that he had been the cause of a family's separation. For he knew what it felt like to lose someone close to him.