13. Just Make Sure You Don't End Up With Two Boyfriends

Start from the beginning

I text Layla and Freya and tell them that I need to talk to them at lunch today. They both say they're excited to hear what news I have for them. Then, I message Tiffany. We haven't talked for a long time. I tell her that I'll call her this afternoon. I don't get a reply.

I finally get off the phone and get dressed for school. My outfit for today is fancier than usual. I'm wearing a purple singlet and black wide-leg pants. I don't know why, but I'm feeling more fabulous today. Maybe this is about the kiss I had with Eddie. I decide to make myself a sandwich for lunch and take a plain chocolate muesli bar. I skip breakfast, pack my bag, then go upstairs to grab my phone, clean my teeth and do my hair. I put my hair into a side plait.

I head out the front door and lock it behind me, then jump into my car and drive to school. I roll my eyes at the bad traffic. I was having such a good morning. Why is it that now I have to deal with bad traffic? When I - finally - get to school, Bailey approaches me at my locker.

"Hey," he says. "You look really nice today. Oh, and good job yesterday with the speech."

"Thanks and thanks. Your speech was good too," I say, grabbing out my English and science books.

"Not as good as yours, though." Bailey grins at me.

"Well, it depends how you look at it, I guess. Your speech was good for your experiences and my speech was good for my experiences. I felt like mine was way too emotional, though."

"No way. Yours was fantastic. I think the fact that it was emotional helped the class to connect more."

"They can't connect with me. None of them are as fat as me."

"Or as beautiful." Bailey gives me a look that reminds me of a puppy. I blush and smile and him.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" I ask.

"Well, why wouldn't I be nice to you?" he steps closer.

"I don't know..." I say, looking down, somehow embarrassed by our closeness.

"So, I was wondering whether you'd like to go out with me this afternoon?"

Damn. Two dates in two days. Go me.

"Sure," I say.

"Cool. So I guess I'll pick you up at your house around five?"

"Yep, sounds good. I'll write down my address." I open my science book and rip a piece of paper out of it. I go to open my pencil case when Bailey holds a pen in front of my face. I look up at him. He nods at the pen and I take it, then jot down my address. I hand him the paper and he shoves it in his pocket.

"Thanks, Martina," he says.

"No problem," I smile. "I'll see you in class, then."

Bailey nods and turns on his heels and gets lost in the crowd. I feel a tap on my shoulder and, for some reason, I think it's Eddie. It's Thomas. He's got the biggest grin I've ever seen on his face. I raise my eyebrows, questioning him. He nods and now it's my turn to squeal. I jump on the spot a few times and then I envelop him in a hug and squeeze him tight enough that I could rid him of all the oxygen in his body. My hugs could be a murder weapon.