Chapter Eight: Moving On Up

Two years later:

I positioned myself before the almost brand-new looking gravestone that stood stark against the green background of the grass, the thorns of the rose I was holding pricking the palm of my hand. I sighed softly as I knelt down, placing the rose on the soil.

"You deserved so much better than this, Chloe." I whispered. No tears filled my eyes, I had stopped crying at her grave almost a year ago. I still visited every month, just to humble myself. It served as a reminder of what the last two years of peace cost.

I stood up and turned, leaving the depressing area behind me. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and plugged my earbuds in, slotting them into my ears as I allowed the sound to accost my eardrums. The wind blew by and I shuddered, wrapping my coat around me tighter. The vibrations of my footsteps seemed to echo throughout my body as though I was hollow inside.

I shook my head against my thoughts and tried to focus on the music.

Suddenly arms wrapped around my waist and lifted me up in the air. I would have fought back against the muscled arms if I hadn't caught the whiff of my boyfriends cologne.

I chuckled and reached up to pull my earbuds out, turning to face him I nuzzled my nose into the crook of his neck.

"Hi." He purred.

"Hi, mon chéri." I replied, giving his cheek a chaste kiss.

Adrien set me down but kept his arms firmly around my waist, gently rubbing his nose against mine causing a giggle to erupt out of me. Even though we'd now been together for years, I still enjoyed these sweet moments and he still enjoyed delivering them to me. Some things really don't change.

"Visiting Chloe's grave?" He asked.

"Yeah, I just finished."

"You know I don't like you walking around by yourself this late at night." He sighed, eyebrows knit together in a cute fashion.

"You do realize that I'm an all-powerful superheroine who can take care of herself, right?" I asked him, smirking.

His laugh pierced the air as he grabbed my face and kissed me before pulling away just as quick, saying, "It's not you I'm worried about. It's the poor soul who might make the mistake of trying to attack you that I'm worried about."

This time both of our laughs filled the air.

"Well, what are you doing out this late anyways, Mr. Noir? I thought Carapace was on patrol tonight."

Chat's teeth shone white against the darkness of the night as he smiled at me, telling me, "He convinced me to cover for him tonight so he could have a date night with his girlfriend."

"Ever the best friend, I see."

"Yeah, I guess so. I don't mind anyways. Not like I have school to worry about in the morning anyways."

"True," I let a light sigh escape as I closed my eyes and leaned into his chest, savoring the warmth he always seemed to emit. "You know, I love these moments with you."

"I do too, Mari." His arms tightened around for a second before he dropped them, scooping up my hand into his. "Let's get you home so you can sleep."