Chapter 33: Welcome to the Family

Start from the beginning

"You don't get to take that tone with m-"

"Who do you people think you are?!"

"Yeah, we don't listen to you anymore!"

"Where were you guys when the famine came? When all the humans were forced off, and we had to refrain from eating for months. What about when the soldiers came down here and raped some of our wives? Or what about when some witches started taking kids."

"Witches?" I mumble

"You people have no idea what's going on in your town, and you think you have the right to reprimand us? Go take a hike!" An older woman yelled, and the crowd rallied with her. Just like I feared, they were too far gone. I turned to look at Alina who was fuming. Her eyes had darkened tremendously, and I scrunch my eyebrows in worry.

She turned her head and looked over at the soldiers who were lazily standing at the end of the stage. Almost instantly the soldier pulled his sword out, and some of the crowd members gasped and clutched their loved ones. She continued to stare at the soldier who was now moving through the crowd. It dawned on me that she was controlling his every move. I looked between the swift-moving soldier and my hardened gazed friend. I walked a little closer to her.

In an instant, the sound of body thumping to the ground caused me to halt. We agreed that killing was the last resort. That we wouldn't kill anyone so what the hell is she doing? I tried to move faster, but it felt like I was moving at a snail's pace. The soldier had shoved his blade deep into the older woman's chest, and her body slid off the sword and landed on the ground. I finally reached her and grabbed her arm,

"What the hell are you doing? We said we wouldn't hurt anyone."

"Drastic times call for drastic measures," she replied dryly to me as the soldier once against swung his weapon against the second person who spoke out against our new rules.

"Alina, stop. Making them fear us isn't going to change anything." I reason, but she ignores me. The soldiers goes for the third victim, and by this time the crowd is screaming and frantically running. I shove Alina hard, and she tumbles to the ground, breaking the connection.

She lands on her side and looks up at me. Her cloak had slid off, and her legs and stomach were exposed. Her stomach was looking much rounder and fuller than the last few weeks I saw her. I squinted my eyes at her belly and then looked back at her,

"Are you-"

"Don't you dare speak of this," she hissed as she stood to her feet.

"This is a good thing right?" I question

"Last time I got my hopes up about a child...I lost it," she replied glumly as she wrapped the cloak securely around her body. She walks off the stage in rage and heads back to the castle. I watch her retreating figure and turn back to the frenzied crowd.

"Everyone! Please calm down!"

"She just killed two people!"

"I understand that Alina acted rashly, but I assure you I do not want to harm any of you. Just please hear me out." Some of the crowd members hesitantly approach the stage while others stagger back.

"I would like to formally invite all of you to the castle this evening. There we can discuss changes, solutions and every concern that all of you without fear of retaliation. I promise I won't let anything happen to you." The crowd looked around uncertain

"And if we refuse?" one of the crowd members question.

"Well that would be unfortunate, but we would hope to have all of you in attendance." I gave them a nod and then walked off the stage and headed to the castle.