Chapter 4: Worth Wild

*Pre-warning towards the very end of the chapter there is a sex scene. This is my first kind of mature scene so I hope it is not too bad. If you want to skip it please feel free. Though the entire chapter is kind of ...sexual in a way. *

I held this sweaty, disoriented, frail human in my arms as my carriage quickly took us back to the castle. Jace and Alina had refused to leave her alone in my custody. It's not like I could do anything to her. Stupid mate bond wouldn't allow it. She was slipping in and out of consciousness. Whoever attempted to poison me knew their stuff. It was really fast acting. She can barely stand on her own two feet. The moment she started coughing, my mate instincts kicked in.

Mate instincts are the best phrase I could use to determine these strange feelings. I mean guilt, pain, protectiveness, and jealousy are all emotions I have never felt nor needed. That is until she came along. I felt jealousy when she gave her token to the archer, guilt about her brother, pain from her view of me and protectiveness the moment she hunched over in agony. I was also angry that someone would so blatantly poison me in front of the crowd on Xalvador for Pete's sake. On a proud day such as this.

Not to mention that useless server who could not even tell me who told him to serve this to me. He feared the reaction of the person who instructed him to kill me instead of mine. I killed him instantly. This seemed to satisfy my mate instinct momentary before switching into worry mode instantaneously. She was dying, and I could not give her an ounce of my blood. I worry that I might further her symptoms since it was a vampire poison. But my younger brother and his wife did not buy my story.

"Give her to me." Jace firmly states, almost commanding me.

"No. And don't act like your commanding me."

"Don't act like you care." I roll my eyes. I honestly don't. But I know mate loss is a pain in the ass, and I do not want or need that right now. Not when there is someone out there trying to assassinate me. The pretty little blonde is going to have to live. At least for now. I decide not to argue with him and just slid her into his awaiting arms. This should go well. Jace bites into his wrist, and before it even touches her lips I grab his wrist dangerously tight,

"No skin to skin contact."

"I'm trying to save her life. Something you're not doing."

"I said no." I snarl, and he narrows his eyes at me. But inches his wrist a little higher so that his blood drips in her mouth instead of directly from his wrist. I let go of his wrist. Those mate instincts kick in whenever they like nowadays. I need to talk to the sorceress to see if I can suppress it somehow. For a moment she stirs, and Jace takes that as a good sign.

He finds one of the empty cups that I had wrapped up to go and squeezes his wrist some more to produce more blood. He gets just enough and opens Adeline's mouth. He pours the liquid down her throat and for a moment the wheezing stops. I felt a bit hopeful until she bolted up and vomited all the blood on the floor. Why did I have a feeling that would happen?

I knew it was a bad idea. I pulled her back into my arms and tried my best not to blurt 'I told you so.' The rest of the ride was silent. The moment we arrived at the castle, my personal sorcerer was already there. The door to my carriage was opened, and I jumped out the wagon with my half dead beloved in my arms. The real irony in this entire situation would make my own father roll over in his grave. Me saving a woman who I vowed to never form attachments too. I carried her up flights of stairs while my brother and his wife followed behind me quiet annoyingly,

"Will you stop following me?"

"We want to make sure she's alright," Alina replied with worry stretched all over her face. I should've told her not to get too attached to the human. Human lives are like glass balls. Pretty to look at but easy to break. I laid her on the bed, and the sorcerer took one look at her,