[40] He'll Be Okay.

Start from the beginning

"Ahem? What is this I'm hearing?" It's Barqat.

Ashley grins, "You heard right, Mr. Sheikh. Your wife would've skipped the chance to marry you if I just confessed earlier."

Dunia tries her best to keep her laughter in.

"I have never been so humiliated in my life!" Barqat plays along. "Good thing I snatched her up before any interruptions."

"I told you she didn't want to marry you." Another voice joins them. It's Imran, one of Barqat's close friends and business partner, besides Aamir. "I knew she had a thing going on for Ashley, aren't I right, Ashley?."

Dunia notices a subtle change in Ashley's composure as she nods. Her eyes became softer, and her lips pursed. Does she have a thing for Imran...?

"No ones ever on my side. This is so unfair." Barqat rolls his eyes.

"But you got the wife at the end so I don't see unfair business towards anyone here but me." Ashley argues while trying to hold in her laughter.

A notification pops up on Ashley's phone, "I think we have to stop our little show here. Your meeting is in five minutes, Mr. Sheikh."

He leans down and places a soft yet lingering kiss on Dunia's cheek. "See you at home, my love."

Ashley makes a motion to make it look like she's about to throw up. And Imran couldn't help but smile at the fact that he can see old Barqat peaking through.

He stands there for a few seconds and Dunia's confused. "Aren't you leaving?"

"Why are you always so clueless?" Ashley huffs. "He's waiting for his kiss, little one."

"Oh." Dunia stands up to face him. The second her lips were about to make contact with his cheek, he turns his head, making her lips land on his.

Dunia's eyes widen in shock, "Barqat! Not here!"

"What? I didn't do anything. You're the one who kissed me." He's smirking.

"I'm going to gouge my eyes out. Please stop this. My poor innocent image of Dunia is slowly fading into darkness." Ashley says teasingly.

"You're going to have to get used to this if you're hanging around her." Imran says to Ashley. "Say... are you going to the party with anyone tomorrow?"

Ashley almost chokes on air, "Uh—I'm—You're—No, I'm not." She squeezes her eyes shut for a second and scolds herself for acting so nervous.

"Great. How about you join me as my plus one?" Imran flashes his most charming smile, the one that reaches his brown eyes.

"I–Um..." Stop stuttering, you idiot, she scolds herself again.

"It's really okay if you don't want—"

"No! No! I mean—I'll be honoured to join you, Sir." Ashley tries her best to keep her composure.

"That's great! And please, call me Imran." He winks at her. "I'll text you." He looks at Barqat, "I'll meet you at the meeting room?"

Barqat flashes him a smug smile and nods.

Ashley swears she felt her soul leave her body. "What did he do that for?"

Dunia purses her lips together to compress her smile, "Do what?" She turns to Barqat, "Did Imran do anything?"

Barqat shakes his head, "No, I didn't see anything."

Ashley lets out a grunt in frustration, "Okay, whatever! Maybe I'm just overreacting..." She quickly shakes off her feelings and looks serious again. "Sir, you're getting late for your meeting."

"Oh, right. I'll see you after work, my love." Barqat leans in to give Dunia one last kiss on her cheek and walks towards the conference room.

"You're totally crushing on Imran." Dunia states.

"I am not." Ashley insists.

"And he totally has something for you." Dunia smirks.

"He does no—wait, really?" Ashley looks at her in confusion with a dash of hope.

"Ha! I knew it! Anyways, yes, really. It wasn't hard to miss." Dunia says.

"Then, why did you two say you didn't see anything?" Ashley frowns.

"We were messing with you." Dunia laughs.

"I guess I deserve that for all the times I teased you." Ashley scratches her head.

"Yes, yes you do." Dunia smiles.

"Hey..." Ashley's tone changes from playful to warm. "You're comfortable with going to the party tomorrow, right? I'm just making sure you'll be okay."

Dunia nods. "I think so. It's not about me, to be honest. I hope he'll be okay."

"Don't worry. I think Mr. Barqat Sheikh can handle a little confrontation. You'll be there to support him." Ashley smiles.

"Yes, I will be." Dunia hopes everything goes as smooth as possible, she just hopes hell doesn't go loose. Everything will be okay, Insh'Allah, she reassures herself. 

- - -

A/N: Thought I'd give y'all a light-hearted/funny chapter before things get a little shaky! 😬😬

I changed the story cover, what do y'all think? 👀

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!!