[42] Say It.

A/N: oh wow! I have another update?? Who am I? 😂😂 Enjoy!

- - -

Something inside Dunia jumps and she grabs a hold of Barqat's hand. She slips her fingers through his and holds it firmly.

"Oh... It's so nice to meet you, Mr. Hiraj!" Dunia tries her best to sound as polite as possible.

Dunia squeezes Barqat's hand so he wouldn't say or do anything inappropriate.

"Yes, it's—um, it's nice to meet you." Those words burned Barqat's throat. It took everything in him to not turn into the devil.

Dunia almost lets out a breath of relief. "I'm parched and a little hungry! Excuse us, I'm going to drag my husband to indulge in hors d'oeuvres before the meal."

"Of course, of course!" Hashem smiles. "Please, enjoy yourselves."

Dunia nods and almost had to drag Barqat to the other side of the hall because he seemed like he was glued to that spot.

"I'm am so grateful that's over." Dunia says as she stares at the chocolate fountain.

Barqat slams his fist onto the table, making Dunia jump. "What the actual fuck? Why the hell did he look so put together? Why the fuck doesn't he look like he remembers anything? I wanted to smash in that bastard's face."

"Shhh! Barqat! We're in public, please don't. I don't want anyone to think anything negative about you." Dunia pleads as she places her hand on his cheek.

For the first time, Dunia's calm state doesn't help. Barqat is fuming. All the anger he's been fighting, has been doused with fuel, making the flames burst through him.

"And you! You had to act all nice and elegant in front of him."

"Barqat, what are you—"

"Shut the fuck up!" His voice is dangerously low.

Dunia understands that he's losing his kind for the right reasons, if it were her in his shoes, she'd probably look her mind too. Just not in front of all these people.

She scans the room and takes his hand to take him out of the hall. She finds a door to a mini empty conference room in the hallway so On the door, it says the room is sound proof, perfect. Barqat can let all his frustration out in there without hurting anyone.

"Why the hell did you bring me here? Too embarrassed to be seen with me because I'm making a scene?" Barqat's voice is daring her to say something.

Dunia is still keeping her calm. She doesn't know how she does it, but she's glad she can because her outburst wouldn't help his situation.

Just when Dunia thought she isn't going to lose her mind, he says, "I saw the way you looked at him, you like him too, don't you? You think that fucking bastard's all that too? You want to leave me for him too?"

Dunia blinks at him a few times with her wide eyes, in disbelief from what he's saying. She understands that he's upset, but these accusations are harsh. "How could you say such a thing? Why would you even have those thoughts in your head? If I wanted to leave you, I would've left you already! Actually, I was standing on my two feet, waiting for a way out of this marriage at one point, but I didn't leave!"

"Maybe you should've fucking left me when you had the goddamn chance!" Barqat's breathing is harsh and uneven.

Dunia could feel tears sting her eyes, "Is that what you would've wanted?"

Barqat doesn't say anything, he turns his head to look at the wall. His hands now tucked in his pockets.

Dunia rests her temple on his chest, her hands begin to shake from heartache. "Because if that's what you want, I want you to say it. I want to hear it from your mouth."

Barqat wraps his arms around her, pulling her whole body against his chest. He rests his cheek on top of her head as he sways her in his arms softly.

"I'm sorry." He whispers. "I'm so sorry you're married to such a dick."

Dunia snakes her arms around him, holding him in a tight grasp, afraid to let go.

"Dunia..." He calls her name almost too quietly.

"Hm?"

"Were you really planning on leaving me? Our marriage?" He asks.

Dunia lets out a sigh, "We've been through this already... But yes, we didn't have a real marriage to begin with. You weren't that welcoming either, Mr. Grouchy."

"I was a bit nasty, wasn't I?" He smiles with guilt.

Dunia looks up at him with amusement playing on her lips. "A bit? You mean a lot. Very, very nasty and unpleasant with a dash of cruel."

"Don't get ahead of yourself." He frowns.

There was silence for a few minutes. "Don't leave."

"Well, people are going to be wondering where we ran off to and I don't want anyone at the event getting ideas—" She begins but he cuts her off.

"I'm not talking about right now, Dunia. I'm saying just in general. Don't leave me." He says faintly.

She reaches out and kisses his cheek, "I won't go anywhere, not unless you tell me to. Not unless I get the idea that I'm not needed."

• • •

"I saw you guys walk in and then disappear. You guys really can't keep your hands off of each other for long, huh?" Ashley grins.

"Language, Ashley. We might not be in our office setting but I'm still your boss." Barqat says sternly.

Ashley scoots closet to Dunia and whispers in her ear, "He's a little grumpier than normal. Has he bumped into, um, you know yet?"

Dunia looks around the room with concern, she's not sure herself if she's ready to see Barqat in his full force anger at Furat. "No, he hasn't. I'm going to guess the tension is really settling in now though." 

"At least he looks smitten with you. Imran has run off with Aamir somewhere. I was a fool to think this could've been a little date." Ashley rolls her eyes. "Men ain't shit."

"Look, he's coming back." Dunia says.

"Where?! Do I look okay? Is my hair okay?" Ashley panics.

"Men ain't shit, huh?" Dunia mocks her.

"Shut up, Dunia. Also, wow, I don't think I've ever heard you swear. You're so innocent, don't swear again, little girl!" Ashley laughs.

"You're right, that sounded a little cringe-y from my mouth." Dunia grins.

"Oh my God, Dunia. I totally forgot to say, you look absolutely gorgeous, amazing, beautiful, sexy. Your whole fit looks like it's worth 20 grand." Ashley's jaw drops as she examines Dunia's look closer.

"Thank you so much, you're looking extremely gorgeous yourself, Mash'Allah! I actually didn't put any of this together or else it might've looked like a mess." Dunia says.

Ashley tilts her head a little, thinking about how might've put it together, "I didn't know Donatella had such good taste."

"It wasn't her. It was Barqat." Dunia smiles.

"No way!" Ashley says in disbelief. "Jeez, if I knew he had a heart in him, maybe I would've tried to woo him years ago."

"I agree, Barqat always had a great sense of style." A woman interjects
their conversation.

Ashley's eyes widen, "Mrs. Hiraj."

"Please, call me Furat." She flashes her million dollar smile that could melt the hardest hearts.

- - -

A/N: And it begins!

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!!