Chapter 25: I hate dress shopping

Start from the beginning

I found myself sliding back into my stall, embarrassed at my predicament for a second time in just a few days as my confidence sailed away. Especially after Mr Green's house, it seems clothes just don't seem to look or fit well on me and I was starting to feel particularly low in self esteem. 

But Mandy, my dear great friend, was having none of it. "Oh shut up, I can almost see your ass cheeks from here, ya nasties! And flapper dresses comes from the 1920's, dumbasses!" She sniped back at them. 

"You can almost see her butt? Good, let's go even shorter!" Mel slaps and grabs Sam's behind in the dress and they both laugh hysterically. "Woohoo!" Hooting and whistling like they flaunted their bodies like they were in a club while we recoiled away with unimpressed faces.

Sam leans forward and sneers proudly, "at least I have an ass and don't look like a fucking starving jew in my dress!"

My stomach instantly went qualmish from her comment, and I couldn't help but look away. If this had been any other day at school, I would just turn the other way. But since my self image had begun feeling a little delicate again, whatever they said just seemed to have struck a nerve. I knew they were just saying whatever they could to get to me, but sometimes being constantly reminded of your personal battles gets tired. 

"I can't believe my poor brother has to look at that all night!" Sam scoffs for a final time before they return back into their stall, shutting the curtain behind them and continue to cackle inside loudly.

"You. Fucking. Hoe–" Mandy, clearly not done with them yet, reaches forward towards their curtain, ready to pounce. 

Melissa and Sam screamed. "Ew, come at me then! Bitch!"

Ah great.
Before a fight broke out I quickly pulled Mandy back and shook my head at her to let it go. With the other patrons around us suddenly silent, I whispered. 

"Don't worry about them... There's people here, they're watching... ."  

"But I can't let them just get away with that."

I shook my head. Mandy finally notices how those around us who caught our eye, quickly scrambled immediately back inside their change rooms, and I go to change out of what must have been the seventh dress that day, waiting until I heard the girls leave before coming out. 

"Let's just go..." I sulked and give the dress one last look before handing it over to an older looking attendant lady who was handling the returns. From the way her eyes looked, I figured she must've heard the convo bright and clear too.

Mandy's wraps her arms around gently my shoulder and rubs my back. "Don't listen to what they say, okay? We'll find you a dress." I nod as we began to exit. 

"Excuse me." The attendant calls. "Are you alright? I can't help but notice that you were having some trouble with finding a dress. We do have plenty more options."

My face burns from the shame and embarrassment and I nod, keeping my gaze low.

"We're fine. AndI know some of them do fit it's just they're a little bit too... um... the style... is too–" 

"Revealing?" She finishes, taking me by surprise and I nod. "Yes darl, I totally understand what you mean. I'd love to sell more proper dresses, but they just never sell anymore. Only the shorter and tighter dresses do and I have to make a living." The attended sighed heavily as she worked quickly, barely paying mind to her hands as they efficiently rehanged the dresses back onto the racks. "Have you ever thought of altering the dresses you like? I saw this one you had on, it matches your complexion just stunningly. All you need to do is take in the sides." 

"O-oh, well thank you." I blushed, suddenly nervously that I might accidentally say something to offend the lady. It seemed like she was the store owner. "I love it and all, it had everything I wanted but it but I was actually hoping to find one that fit right away because I don't know if I'd be able to afford the costs of getting it fitted. And I want to pay for everything myself without my parents help" 

"Is that so? Well... tell you what, it's really no trouble for me to do that. 30 minutes tops, I'm willing to wave the cost for the alteration." The older lady says.

"W-what?" I stumbled speechlessly. 

"Yes, it'll be thirty minutes tops. No biggie."  She smiled.