Ch.40: The One Soul

Start from the beginning

Us? Me and Saboteur? For what? Pinti blinked at him, confused. "But only Kathula can use the scep—"

"Eyruthnaè Kattola," came another voice. Her mark burst with magick. A sharp pain pierced her head. Yowling, she groaned and stumbled forward. Daero caught her and a white-blue light covered them both. When it faded, a black Kathula male appeared before her.

"Aurvandil," she whispered. He was sitting on a rug with his legs crossed. It was the bottom of the Dark North and Daero was nowhere to be found.

"So, you've figured me out," Aurvandil rumbled with a smirk. "I knew you were smart enough."

She couldn't hold herself back. "What does he mean? 'It was us.' And why could he use the scepter? He's not even Kathula! If you're really Aurvandil, make it so that I can save Kathula!" Pinti stood, facing him with frustration, but he didn't seem fazed. He closed his eyes.

"One soul shall wish tonight. One soul granted powers to unleash." He recited and opened his eyes. "You must be granted to unleash the powers of the scepter. I did not grant you."

So, did I fail Aurvandil? she thought and tears pooled in her eyes. "But I tried so hard."

He cleared his throat. "Yes, that you did. If a Kathula with Lunality believes in the scepter, the scepter will appear. That was your duty. To continue to believe to make it appear."

I was the Kathula with Lunality who believes in the scepter, but not enough to use it? She flicked her tail. "I failed the task? The scepter didn't want to grant me it's powers?"

"Did you not read the book carefully, Pinti?" He scoffed and the golden swirls etched on his arms and legs glowed. "I swear, small print escapes the eyes of every race. A minor point, but important, nonetheless. The scepter is just an object. My choice is above all mortal souls like yourself."

Pint hissed. Her Saboteur was more worthy than she was? She sat down on the dark blue floor. Golden-yellow light swirled beneath her.

"Heizak. So, I failed you and you chose Saboteur over me? He was more worthy to give the scepter powers to?"

Aurvandil came over to sit beside her. "Pinti," His voiced sounded older now, "your strength was your determination and your belief. That is what makes the scepter appear. I chose you for the task of making the scepter appear and you went beyond all expectations. Not a failure at all. I'm proud of you."

"Good to know," she grumbled, not willing to give him the satisfaction that she did feel a little glad.

"You are quite stubborn, aren't you?" He laughed.

Pinti licked her shoulder. "What about Saboteur?"

"Shadow and Lunar," he rumbled, "I am content with my choice. Light has been returned to Elgana." He rested a paw on her shoulder. She shivered at his cold touch. Starlight sparkled in his fur as he stood. There was so much she thought to ask him. Thoughts tumbled around in her mind and settled on one.

"What happens now?"

Aurvandil just smiled and began to fade. Soon, she was left in darkness.

* * *

With a start, her body jerked, and she snapped her eyes open. She was laying on a bed with thin, white lace curtains around. Wooden beams stretched across a high ceiling and a soft orange light poured into the room. The scent of chamomile filled her nose.

"I felt you wake up. How are we?" Thereanbold beckoned to the kettle floating behind him and it began to pour hot water into a cup.

"Confused." She looked around the room.