Ch.34: The Edgling Castle

When Pinti woke, she was in a familiar, dim, and icy tunnel. The path was covered in snow. It stuck to her fur and made her legs feel heavy. She scowled at it.

This dream again. She grumbled as she walked.

At last, she made it to the end of the tunnel. Breathing in the crisp, ice-cold air, she scanned the area and opened her mouth to detect any faint scents. It was a black night without a single star or moon. Strange white trees stood with stiff empty branches and with icicles hanging from their limbs.

Behind, the other end of the tunnel didn't seem so far away. In the black sky a round red glow, either fire or a sunset, bloomed on the horizon. It was a strange contrast of fiery colors on a black canvas.

I wonder where that goes. She bristled when she felt someone watching her. The Saboteur stood before her now. He was in his wolf-like form with the antlers, grinning with an outstretched arm. In his paw was a ball of snow.

"Don't you dare." She held out her arms to block. "I hate snow and I don't want it on me."

"But it's fun." The Saboteur chuckled. "You roll it up in little balls and throw it at your opponent. Huamanoa fun sport, Pinti."

"I don't have time for this. Where is this?"

"Where we stand now is Gelid. It's the coldest place a living creature can go without perishing from frostbite. This tunnel is centuries old," he rumbled, patting the stone tunnel. "That way," He pointed behind at the vast snowfield, "is the rest of Gelid which eventually disappears into darkness—Dark North. It is a place so dark and cold only spirits can survive there.

"Said to be the birthplace of all magick—Sorcerer, Kathula, Shaa, all magick. When it spread to other Rings, it changed. But legends have it, the Dark North is where the core of magick lies for an eternity." A hint of a smile played upon his lips. "I believe in those legends."

Pinti scowled. "What does this have to do with the Scep—"

"With you, Kathula will die," he spat and vanished.

She woke with a start. What was that?

The stiff Edgling tentacles were moving beneath her paw. She snatched her paw off them, grimacing. Her mind groggy from sleep. The dream faded before she could grab it by the tail. As she rubbed her eyes, Daero helped her up, telling her they had arrived at the Edge Portal.

"You have better nose sense than me but even I can smell the ancient, near-rotten magick. Did you know all portals are updated once in a while? The Edge Portal is the only one untouched for centuries. The first portal to be created and the last portal of the Rings."

Pinti didn't have to try. The putrid, rotten egg smell mixed with some kind of sour tang pierced through the musty stench of Edglings, invading her nostrils. She had thought Edglings smelled bad, but this Edge Portal was far worse. Her nausea threatened to return so she opted to stuffing her tail into her face instead. It smelled like a wet rag—she desperately needed a nice bath with herbal soap.

"Not as bad as Valerian root, I'll say." Daero grimaced, scrunching up his nose.

She glanced at him, surprised. "You don't like Valerian root?" It was the equivalent of catmint that Humans gave their pet cats. It was used to sooth one to sleep and relax the muscles in the brain. Too much though could make one drunk.

"It smells like feces!" He bristled. "Oh, that stench is horrible! Thank the moons Deel was never interested in trying it, ooh!" He shuddered. "Can't imagine what that would've been like for me."

"I can't imagine, either." Pinti could not believe he would hate the amazing, sweet-scented, mouth-watering Valerian root. The first time she was allowed to have some was not a day to forget. Just a nibble was enough to make her feel good and relaxed for the entire night and have delightfully sweet, peaceful dreams. In her harsh life, she always wished she had more on paw. Sometimes she wasn't allowed to have it and had to watch Kalis enjoy it all to herself.