everyday part 2

adam's pov

i walked into geometry AC. first day of freshman year. fantastic. max fell into a coma around the middle-endish of his seventh grade, my eighth grade year. it's been 10 months. almost a year. i still went everyday after school and on the weekends. i had to be there when he woke up. i spent my whole summer there too, waiting. i barely ate and barely slept. all i could do was think about max.

i sat down at a desk near the front of the class. it was near the teachers desk, so nobody sat by me. i just wanted to leave middle school in the past. i did my homework everyday during passing time, freetime, and lunch. then i usually wouldn't have any after school.

one day, a new kid came to school. she was in my geometry and choir class. she walked into my geometry class and sat right next to me. she seemed so happy. i envied her joy.

"hey!" she said to me. i looked up from my work and at her.
"ummm... hey." i said, confused as to why she was talking to me. nobody ever talked to me. i was invisible.
"the name's Katy! what's yours?"
"adam. and uh hey.." i debated on whether or not to say it. i chose to, just to warn her and not give her bad luck.
"...people usually don't talk to me because i'm just bad luck and a terrible person. so if you wanna leave now and go find a good friend, be my guest." i said, looking back down at my homework. katy just sat there for a second. she started laughing and i looked back at her.
"what's so funny?" i said.
"you! haha," she wiped her eyes and slapped my back. "you really got the mighty fine sense of humor dude. you seen like a cool kid."

over the school year, we started hanging out more. i would still go to the hospital everyday after school though. one day, katy asked me where i kept going everyday.

"well, i just..."
i paused for a second, unsure if i wanted to tell her.
"just... follow me. meet me at the flagpole after school."

after school, we met at the flagpole and i walked her to the hospital. katy was silent the whole way, oozing curiosity.

"hi misty." i said to the lady at the desk up front.
"oh hi adam! going to check up on max today?"
"what else would i be doing?" i said jokingly, making finger guns at her.
"got any homework?"
"you know that i don't."
"alright, well no one is in there right now. just thought i should let you know."
"alrighty. thanks mist."
"ooh whose your friend?" she said, leaning over the desk.
"this is katy. she's a friend from school."
"ooooh okay." she said, winking at me.
i shook my head "not in that way..."
"okay, okay. you got me. i'll let you two go. let me know if you guys want any pudding or anything and i'll have someone run to the cafeteria for you."
"okay, thank you!" i said, walking away from the desk and towards max's room. his room was on the third floor. 317. in the halls, a whole bunch of people said hi to me. both patients, nurses, doctors, and staff. i waved back at them and carried on to max's room. i opened the door and let katy in.

"hey, max." i said. i knew he could hear me, he just couldn't say anything back. "it's me, adam. i brought a friend with me today. her name is katy. i think you'd really like her."
katy and i sat down in the chairs in the room. she looked at me and looked at max.

"i guess i have some explaining to do." i said.
"this is my friend max. he is turning 14 today, actually. he was my best friend all throughout eighth grade. he's a year younger than me. he's been here for almost a year now." i look at max. his hair was getting long. maybe it's about time for a haircut. "he... he just... means a lot to me. i come here everyday because i know he will wake up one day. he'll wake up and it'll be okay again." i sniffled a bit. "he is my best friend."

katy grabbed my hand, causing me to look at her. she stared at me and nodded.
"it's okay," she said "i know how hard it is. he will wake up. if he's been going for this long, that means there's something keeping him here."

"thank you..." i said.

over the next few months, katy and i would go visit max everyday. she met david, gwen, nikki, niel, and mrs. cooper too.