good times always end too soon

david's pov

max and i left gwen's house after staying there for about a week. the house was finally fixed up too. everything was cleaned and repaired. it looked as though nothing had ever happened. as we walked in, i looked at max for a moment. he immediately ran to his room, excited to have his stud back. he came out looking discouraged though. then i remembered. i opened up my backpack and called max over.
"close your eyes." i said
"come on, david. i'm not three."
"close them. it won't be a surprise if your eyes aren't closed."
he sighed and closed his eyes.
"now hold out your hands."
he put his hands out.
"noooooow... open them!"
he opened his eyes and they immediate lit up like a christmas tree!
"MR HONEYNUTS!" he exclaimed
"b-but how? he was all torn up and and-"
"i asked gwen to help fix him."
he smiled at me and gave me a hug. "thank you, dad."
then he hopped up and ran to his room.

he called me dad

i couldn't contain myself. i squealed a bit and could feel tears of joy welling up in my eyes.

we spent the rest of the day getting settled back into our home and watching movies. before i knew it, it was 9:47pm! wow where had the day gone?

it was at that moment when i heard a knock at the door.

max's pov

i woke up to a knock on the door and instinctively went to go get it.
when i opened it, all i could do was stare.

"who is it?" david said. i could hear him starting to move over towards the door.

"hello, maxwell."

dad.

i screamed for david, but it was too late. my dad had swung the door the rest of the way open, flinging me against the wall. i heard david scream. "I TOLD YOU I WOULD MAKE YOU PAY FOR THIS MAXWELL." my father shouted. i felt him pick me up by my hair and yelped. david was practically knocked out. i saw him on the floor out of the corner of my eye. "i'm sorry dad. i'm sorry. i wont do it again." "sorry is not gonna fucking cut it this time." he said menacingly. i tried to turn my head to look at david to see if he was okay.

"first i'm gonna kill you. then, i'm gonna kill him." he said, breathing in my face. he threw me on the ground and took a chair from the kitchen and smashed it over my head. i started crying. i could feel the blood running down my face along with my tears. i tried to crawl away as i saw my dad start to walk over towards me. he stomped on my leg, breaking it. i screamed. "DAVID."

i could feel my vision going dark.
"you're not going out just yet, maxwell. i was only kids starting!"
then i saw that david had moved. where was he? was he just leaving me here to die?

then i heard a gunshot.

my father dropped to the ground, dropping me too. i saw david standing there, panting. blood running down the side of his face. he was holding a gun. then my vision went dark. the last thing i heard was david.

david's pov

"stay with me, max. stay with me. please, i love you. people are coming to help, i swear. just stay with me."

i saw max's eyes starting to close.

"MAX, PLEASE. look at me...."

"d...."

"what is it, max?"

"d...dad. i.... love.. you."

i heard the ambulance arrive.

stay with me max.
there's still so much me have to do together.
there's still so much i want you to see.
please, for the love of god... please stay with me.

i want to see you smile again.

654 words

oh my god y'all i am crying while writing this like ahdhdjajsjsb im sorry. stay tuned for what may or may not happen next.